Finding it difficult to study...

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Treks, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Treks

Treks Bit Poster

The problem I have is that while I'm studying for the Windows 2000 MCSE, I have no practical situations in which to apply what I've learned. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get around this? Solutions should be practical and non-expensive!

I work as an EPOS engineer and encounter Windows 2000 Professional on average once every couple of months, so the potential for "play" is practically zero.

I already have Windows 2000 Professional under my belt, so my next is exam is 70-215 - 2000 Server. Does anyone have any advice on how best to proceed? Thanks in advance.

T

Certifications: Windows 2000 Pro MCP, CompTIA A+
    WIP: 70-215, Win 2K Server
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You can either get a hold of some virtualising software (eg VMWare or Virtual PC - see our Virtual Computing Forum), or try and get an old(ish) box that you can run 2000 Server on, and practice with your client machine. At least getting to grips with the concepts of DNS, DHCP, RIS, RRAS, Dfs, etc are all best experienced with some form of home lab setup. I guess you could at a push pass on theory alone, but you would be your own undoing when you come to hit the workplace without at least the bare minimum hands-on experience.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Gav here, Treks. Unfortunately, you will not get too much further towards your goal of becoming an MCSE unless you get hands on experience and lots of it. It would be better to have more than one server and client box to play with but I understand that finances can be tight. Eventually, you will either need to work in an environment that will let you get your hands on a production Windows network or you'll need to build up your home network. The MCSE certification isn't one you will likely be able to attain depending on book studies alone. Good luck, m8.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Treks

Treks Bit Poster

Pretty much what I thought. Thanks, Guys.

I used to have two pretty cheap boxes - one with 2000 Pro and one with 2000 Server on it. Trouble is, if finances are tight, room for another couple of computers is tighter still.

How do I get hold of this "Virtual Software" you mentioned?

T

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You can check out the Virtual Computing forum here.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Treks

Treks Bit Poster

I figured as much. Either pay for boxes or pay for the software.

Oh well!

Thanks anyways.

I'll check out the Virtual Forum.

T