Finally Studying for the 70-210

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by tripwire45, Jul 17, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've been bouncing back and forth between studying for the Win2K cert and a Linux cert (probably the LPI entry level). I was all set to study Linux when the flood of advice came in saying "DON'T! Linux is for guru's. Start with Microsoft!". Ok, ok, ok. I've studyed the Windows 2000 core four in school and now have to go back and resurrect the info for the cert. I've got the Sybex book by Donald and Chellis:

http://www.nerdbooks.com/item.php?id=0782127517&PHPSESSID=6480303687013745e7817d60d92a5381

and Minsai's "Mastering Windows 2000 Professional":

http://www.nerdbooks.com/item.php?id=078212853X&PHPSESSID=6480303687013745e7817d60d92a5381

I currently work with three PCs networked through an old IBM switch. One runs 98 SE and is the one the family uses...the other two dual boot to Win2k and some flavor of Linux. A friend of mine is a professional trainer in Canada and said she'd snail mail me a CD with some additional resources. I'm also hoping through my relationship with Manpower Professional, to access their free eLearning resources.

Any other suggestions (Nelix, I know you're out there and studying for the 210-70, too)?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Hi Tripwire

And right you are, I am studying for 70-210, i have the microspft press book

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._1_3/103-9687063-1071836?v=glance&s=books

Which were given to me by my course provider, however after hearing alot of peoples comments on the sybex range, i discovered that they had a full compliment of sybex books in the cupboard at work so have borrowed the 70-210 edition for my studys. The only other resources that i use at the moment are what came with the microsoft book and some trancenders, i do have a copy of the microsoft ebooks, but dont really use them much, to be honest i am finding it extremly difficult to study, with home and work life and the realisation that i learn alot quicker and find it easier in a class room enviroment, at times i even think that i may have bitten off a little more than i can chew.

One piece of insparation to me was that in my last job i met and worked along side the youngest person i the country to obtain MCSE status, he was 17 at the time, and the best part was that he was not big headed about it, he was very helpful and was only to willing to explain things, he was a brainy guy, i still keep in touch with via the occasional email, so i suppose if he can do it then so can i.

I have a home network with 3 machines (one of them a laptop) running Win 2000 (hope to upgrade soon to 4 machines) and a server machine running Win 2000 server, which helps alot (when i can get on the damn thing due to the kids and 'Habbo Hotel') all of them are at it now, including the girlfriend :( :cry:

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Know how you feel nelix. Got the same feeling here. This is the first distance learning course that i've undertaken and i'm fnding the motivation a little hard at the minute. But i suppose it depends on how much I want to achieve my goal on if I'm gona get my finger out. :cry:

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

couldn't agree more ~SimonV~, however even when you have all the motivation in the world, when you work full time and then come home to a family and house that need looking after it's still not easy to find the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi all, sounds like a familiar story for all of us...

Trip, can you get a hold of the Cramsessions notes for the 210 ? I found them an excellent means of tying everything together from all the other resources into one nice, exam-shaped package.

Also, like some of the other guys, I used the LearnKey CBT cd-roms - they're great for when you just can't read another word on paper :sleeping

I too used MSPress book, and whilst I moaned about it at the time, after looking at the Sybex, I had to admit that MS covers the details of the stuff.

Just my opinion, tho'...... :P

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

Sorry I can't comment on which books are any good because I've used the MOCs for most of my studies but for revision the Transcenders are excellent.

For my own Lab I had 2 PCs whilst studying for the 210 & 215 and you only really need 2 machines. 1 with Win 2K Pro and Server on another machine. If you can get hold of the trial version of Server then you'll be laughing.

Also don't forget to pop back to certtutor. As I'm sure you know the QOTDs and online tests are some of the best to be found anywhere, don't just do the 210 ones but have a look at the ones for the 215 because these 2 certs do overlap quite a bit.

Good luck.....

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Agreed on that point, Taz - I found stuff i couldn't take in for the 210 were all covered in the 215 - but then you don't want to be reading 2 books for one exam, do you :cry:

8. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I get the QOD from certtutor, alot of them seem to be about group policys etc and i havent got that far in the book yet.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I know what you mean about work and school. I just finished up going to school full time and working full time for the past two years. My last official class was in June. I "graduate" in August so now I just work full time (put in about 11 hours today). Now I split myself between work, looking for work, studying, and the family...oh yeah, I have to sleep sometime. I usually get Sunday's off, but I try to cram in everything I don't have time for during the week.

I've taken a look at the QOTD from Certtutor but I need to get a bit further along in my refresher course before I'll be happy with my performance. I will recommend transcender as a good mock test software. That's usually about my last step in my cert studying process.

Well, how would I go about doing that? I'll take all the help I can get.

10. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Trip, if you go to www.cramsession.com click on the study guides link and there's a whole host of different guides. You have 2 options a pay for no ad pdf version and half way down the page is a link in small writing to a free html version with ads. You have to register though don't use your main email address coz they love to spam.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  11. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Trip

Welcome to the MS loop...

IF you can get your hands on the W2K Prof Resource Kit it is worth its weight in Gold. Do you have access to TechNet on CD at work?

If you can get your hands on all of the CramSession core notes that is a great help.

Good luck with your studies

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

*Do you have access to TechNet on CD at work?*

At work? I deliver mail for a living, Sandy. Unfortunately, I've yet to score that first, full-time IT gig (sigh).

BTW, I'm having trouble with some of the functions on the board today. I can't use emoticons or other code inserting options (such as "quote"). I'm on a dell inspiron 8200 laptop running Windows XP pro. Is it me or the board? <confused>

13. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Hi Trip, sorry to hear your having problems, can you give me a little more detial. Was it on every post or just in this forum, was there an error message associated with the behaviour that sort of thing. :D

Thanks, Si

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It happened on more than one forum and no error message appeared. I would just click on an emoticon or button and nothing would happen. Now that I'm on my Micron PC running Win98SE (cranky though it is), everything seems to work.

I have noticed something else while we're on the subject (really off topic)...I clicked the checkbox to have the forum automatically log me on everytime I visit from this machine. Despite that (and I've done it repeatedly), I am not logged on when I visit. Sometimes when I try to reply to a post, I get kicked back to the main forum menu. HAL...are you in there?

DAVE: "HAL, open the pod bay door"
    HAL: "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that"

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Damn that gives me the shivers just reading it onscreen :P

16. SimonV
    Honorary Member

This problem can occcur with ad blocking software of cookie blocking software. The forum does have a problem with such software as zone alarm etc that blocks cookies. If you turn down the cookie blocking or ad blocking this should sort out theses problems.

Let me know if this helps.

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks, SimonV. Now back on topic. I spent probably two hours after work last night downloading e-mails (curse my 56K modem) from that trainer friend of mine. Some of the files wouldn't even come through the pipeline (actually, through Norton...didn't detect a virus from them...just took forever to check them) so I went to the webmail server and cached the rest for when I have time to download them to my hard drive.

They're all zip files, so I'll find the time later today to unzip them and organize the materials. Hopefully, I'll have a nice little library of supplementary materials to work with.

Nelix, how long have you been studying for the 70-210? You mention you haven't gotten as far as group policies in the book. What are you working on now. Since we seem to both be busy family men, maybe we can motivate each other to "crack the books" at every opportunity. My 15 year old daughter chewed me out last night, saying that I was *always* on the computer (of course, this is when she was bored and wanted on the computer). "We'll honey", I said, "...it's my job (or will be someday)".

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  18. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Trip

One tip.

I went into my 210 expecting it to be all about the PC on the desk top - Boy did I have a shock. It was about the PC on the desktop and how it fitted into a W2K domain. If you can get hold of ALL the core cram sessions it will give you an idea of the whole subject.

19. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

An old Chestnut I know but they did not work for me.

20. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I am more of a "Glad to be of service " - Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy