Finally got my first IT job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Black Tortoise, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

Good evening ladies and gents, I used to be a regular poster on here shortly after I passed my N+ back in early 2011.

As you can see by the title I have secured my first IT position working as a Service Desk Analyst for a very well known company.

I am very happy!!!! but scared at the same time :S The interviewers clearly stated that I will have to "hit the ground running" - Does anyone have any tips for someone whose never worked on IT? Any one refer me to any online resources that will assist me on becoming a competent member of the service desk? or any personal experiences will be very much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
    jk2447 likes this.
  2. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi,

Congrats on your IT job. I've actually got a 2nd Interview on Tuesday for a position on the Helpdesk.

Rob

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
    Black Tortoise likes this.
  3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

Thanks Rob! All the best of luck for you 2nd interview.

BTW, if anyone wants any interview tips for what I did to get my first IT jobs please ask!

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  4. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on getting your first IT job!

I've just completed my first week of training in my first IT job and looking to actually start my role properly next week. I'm a bit nervous too, but also excited at the same time.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  5. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

saying you need to hit the ground running just means that do your best at all times, don't make mistakes and if you do not know the answer then make sure to ask someone that does.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  6. l4ter

l4ter Nibble Poster

Hitting the ground running is something of an understatement at my workplace.

My advise would be try to be methodical (go though things step by step, make notes on procedures, ask if there is any documentation you can pre-read up on, don't be afraid of asking questions (write down answers - as you don't really want to keep asking about the same thing), try to get as much information about the problem before you decide on a course of action {is it software or hardware}, when did it start happening, when did it last work, have you tried turning it on and off???

Id just re-word what shadow just said and say if you make mistakes - MAKE SURE YOU LEARN FROM THEM - demonstrate that you have learned from them.

Good luck and congrats

Certifications: BSc Computing, A+, N+, MCITP Enterprise
    WIP: MD-100