Finally getting the bullet

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by michael78, Nov 5, 2009.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Well it's finally happend I'm being made redundant at the end of January. I was clever enough to take out insurance so that will cover my mortgage and house bills and I get 2 months salary as redundancy plus we are lucky to have a lot of savings and my wife works so money isn't a problem. To be honest I'm happy to be leaving as I haven't been happy for over a year as we are being pushed out by cheap and mostly poor overseas call centers and I can't see the cuts stopping here. Plus I wasn't happy being under paid compared to the rest in other offices for doing the same job and workload.

I'm bracing myself for 3-6 months out of work due to the time of year and what is happening in the economy. I'm going to use this time to study my arse off so does this sound do-able in say 9 months (3 months doing my notice and upto 6 months out of work) and taking my other certs into consideration and having 7 years commercial experience in 2nd line is this a good idea to get out of 2nd line and into a 3rd line role?

MCTS - Hyper-V (taking exam on Friday 13th November)
    ILIL 3 Foundation
    Prince 2
    MCITP - 2008

Any advise is much appreciated.

Michael

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that m8. May be a blessing in disguise though as you say.

I'd watch the estimate of 3-6 months unemployed in the current market - there's an awful lot of people chasing the jobs above entry level and I'm still searching after 18 months !

Given the efforts of some on here (the cert heroes ! :p ) it is possible to do as you suggest. I'd watch the PRINCE2 tho' as if you're not going on a recognised course you can't do the Practitioner bit by self study. Also, with the Foundation, if self studying you have to go to a "Public" exam session (usually London).

I'd say get stuck in now and good luck !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Sorry to hear about the redundancy, but good news that you now feel relieved!

I'd say that's acheivable mate, it seems anything is achievable if you put enough effort into it...:biggrin

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Sorry to hear that Michael but by the sounds of things they are doing you a favour. Fingers crossed you'll land a role you enjoy more and I'm guessing your redundo cover lasts for 12 months like mine so a bit of breathing room there hopefully.

Studying like a demon and applying like mad is all you can do mate. My advice would be to get your MCTS - Hyper-V and ITIL Fv3 because in my opinion these can be achieved in a short amount of time but add a lot of bang per buck to your CV.

Hope you are staying positive as when I've seen people in my work get laid off this is normally whats sorted the men from the boys. You will be fine and very best of luck

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, sorry to hear about the redundancy.

My advice would be to start applying for jobs now whilst educating yourself. Use the last couple of months at work to hammer the studying, get some more certs under your belt and apply for jobs left right and centre.

Once, your unemployed, it's much harder to get back into the job market.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that. It can however work out better for you if you manage to line up a job within 2 months of leaving so good luck i hope it all works out !

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. michael78

Cheers for the advise guys, much appreciated as always. I'm glad to be leaving in a sense as I think this is going to give me an opportunity that otherwise I would never get and thats time to to study properly and re-evaluate my career.

Jim can I ask you if you have had insurance for unemployment what are they like? Are they pushy in getting you to take any job in IT or in anything if it gets to say 6 months out of work. I'm a little worried they are going to say take this job in a call centre otherwise you loose your insurance.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I've been lucky to not have to use mine yet but a peer has and he said they just ask you a few questions then pay you for 12 months. Its down to you to find work, they won't hastle you mate. At most call you once a month to ask how's it going but I think in this climate they won't be on your case at all mate. Its what you pay for so they can't say anything.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. michael78

Nice one sounds like I should be ok then :D

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats and condolences, my friend.

The advice to start looking NOW is rock solid. Do that, and hopefully you won't have to worry about an unemployment gap.

Don't study for certifications in lieu of looking for employment - make looking for employment your number 1 priority, and studying for certifications secondary to that. Don't get me wrong, you SHOULD study for certifications... but I'd recommend doing that AFTER you do as much as you can in looking for a new gig each day.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

For the insurance side I used to work for an insurer of this type. They will usually require you to sign on and get a form completed once a month (Stamped) by the Jobcentre to confirm you are still signing on and actively seeking work.

No form no payment. Keep the forms coming and you should be good for 12 months but be aware there is usually a 30 day qualifying period and payments are made in arrears.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  12. michael78

Cheers for the info mate much appreciated.

13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sorry to hear this and good to hear you have a positive attitude. I would second what MichaelBoson stated and start looking for a job like there is no tomorrow.

Best wishes and keep on being positive as sometimes being positive in your mind would take you a long way.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  14. michael78

I agree if I didn't have insurance but the time of year and such I really don't think there is any point plus I've got Xmas off so want to see out my 3 months and take time away from IT to study as this opportunity will never come around again to do study full time. I've set my goal for April for a job when companies do their budgets so I'll see how it pans out plus I've got too many PS3 games to get through as well lol.