File system question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I am in the process of transferring a rather *large* amount of data from a machine (Windows XP) to my external USB drive (NTFS).

I was just curious as to why the Operating system cannot display an estimated time at the time of transfer opposed to changing it's mind throughout the process :D

Is it to do with fragmentation or the NTFS file system in general? I can't say I have noticed this whilst using Ubuntu (ext2)

Thanks Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Si would say its got to do with the size of the current file its transfering at that time in proportion to the speed its transfering. In better sence have you noticed a smaller file the time is more accurate? Tranfer a few GB and if you have a 500Mb file moving over the time taken to complete will jump from 15 min to 35 min lets say?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Zim,

As you saaaaaaaayyyy (slur, burp!), it must be having trouble estimating the file size possibly.

I have noticed that for relatively small files, XP has no problem displaying the size compared to larger files and folders which seem to be *added up* and takes a while to give you the size.

Si

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I call them "Microsoft Minutes" :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Yes they are unpredictable.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I have often wondered about this and this is a purely speculative answer and I've no idea how accurate it is.

I guess it's because Windows runs some kind of recursive algorithm* to calculate the time left to transfer. *I think that's the term, it's been a while since my college days. Basically, you take the answer and put it back in the formula you've used to generate that answer. The initial pass is proportionately inaccurate (so the bigger the data you're transferring, the more innacurate the estimate is in absolute terms). Each pass of the algorithm narrows down the margin of error so it gets more accurate the closer it gets to completing the transfer.

Of course, this could just be total crap.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Sounds good to me. :thumbleft

Si