File & Folder Permissions

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Lev Arris, May 13, 2008.

1. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

Hi all,

Not sure if I can do this, I had a user call today and she wanted to give :

6 users full control over folder X, its sub-folders and all files within those sub-folders

Everyone the ability to read/write/modify all files but not create or modify folders within Folder X or any of its sub folders

-------------------------------

I grafted for an hour messing about with various special permissions. I think its impossible to stop a user creating/modifying a folder while still being able to create/modify files.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Deny the Create Folders permission - Advanced button, select the user/group, click Edit.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I tried unticking "create folder/apend data"

When I did this it meant users could open documents/spreadsheets but they were only able to do this as read only.

I'm assuming denying the permission would do the same thing? Or am I being a muppet?

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

link :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I tried this on my home system and also on network. Same issue.

When I untick or deny "Create Folders/Append Data" while leaving everything else ticked it means when the users open files they open as "read only".

I'm sure this isn't doing what it says on the tin!!

6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Just above the propertieslist in advanced mode, you will find a dropdown list with "this object only, this object and all child objects, all child objects, etc etc". With this you can fine tune you settings.
    Remember you do not have to set the rights all in one setting. You can make multiple settings for the same group.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP