File compression

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by klospros, Apr 16, 2007.

1. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

Hi, I'm doing the MCDST course and have a couple of questions that I'm trying to clarify
    1, Windows XP supports compressed folders on NTFS drives only, and zipped compression on all file systems, if I'm reading it right. Am I right in saying that on an NTFS drive Windows takes care of the compression and any other file system wanting compression would need to use a program to compress the file, e.g.winzip?

2, I duel booted my computer using the evaluation copy of XP pro and my XP, both on seperate HDD, I then had to recover my version of XP using Acronis 10 and now it wont dual boot even though I have checked the other drive to make sure that it is still there, do I need to boot from the CD and reinstall the MBR for my second drive to be recognised?

Any help would be appriecated:)

Certifications: A+ 2006, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

1) It might be somit to do with gzip on NTFS and normal zip on all other folders? not sure though.

2) You could add the line in your boot.ini file to point to the other location. Copy and edit the exisiting one in their but am not 100% if it will work.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi mate

Windows file compression is done by the file system and the file only stays compressed whilst on the disk. Winzip is a different utility that you can use to compress files to transport around

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307987

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Boot your PC with a Windows XP CD and start recovery console.

Type:
    bootcfg /list

If there is no mention of your second windows XP install then type:

bootcfg /rebuild

This will then scan all hard drives for Windows XP\2000 and NT installs and change the boot.ini file if needed.

Boot as normal and test 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice and help everyone:)
    All sorted now and back to a dual boot system:)

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good news, what was the fix?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

I took your advice Sparky and booted from the orig cd found the two OS's and then fixed them, everything all works fine now:)

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Um lets not confuse zip archives with compression.

The compression method built into NTFS file systems in XP does not do what winzip does - all it does is compress each individual file, whereas winzip creates a compressed archive of multiple files into a single file.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)