Fifth edition Meyers ok?

Discussion in 'A+' started by ZZR1100, Mar 2, 2007.

1. ZZR1100

ZZR1100 Bit Poster

Or would it be wiser to go for the 6th edition?

its just i can get the 5th edition cheap :)

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There's a reason why it's going for cheap... that version of the A+ exams is retiring on June 30. If you plan on passing both of the 2003-version A+ exams by June 30, go for it. But if you plan on passing the new version of the A+ exams, get the 6th edition. Better to spend the $35 now on the book than fail an exam and have to pay MUCH more than that to take it again.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. ZZR1100

ZZR1100 Bit Poster

Ok, intresting.
    i take it the 6th edition would be ok for 'both' exams. Pre and post June 30th?

Because i might be ready for the exam by June 30th...

thanks

4. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

You can still take the old exams up until jun/july, but you can also take the new exams now, so it is definately worth getting the 6th edition book.

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+
  5. ZZR1100

ZZR1100 Bit Poster

THANKS

6. BosonMichael

Yes and no.

As stated above, yes, you can go ahead and take the new exams now.

No, the 6th edition isn't good for the 2003-version exams. Not only was new stuff added to the new version of the exam... old stuff was also removed. Thus, the 6th edition book will not address any of the stuff that was removed from the 2003 version of the exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. ZZR1100

ZZR1100 Bit Poster

Well it would make sense to take the 'newest' exam possible i guess anyway. I assume it will be the 2007 exam.

Ive ordered the Sixth edition Meyers book, so i hope that will be good enough.

8. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

It's the book I'm using, and I must say it's fantastic.

9. ZZR1100

ZZR1100 Bit Poster

Stevie, are you studying for A+ and N+ at the same time?

I personally think one at a time might be a safer option (well for me anyways :)

10. BosonMichael

There are two versions of the exam out: the 2003 version (introduced in 2003) and the 2006 version (introduced in 2006). If things hold true to form, there won't be another version until 2009.

11. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

I'm studying for my A+ now, as I have been building, repairing and upgrading pc's for nearly 12 years now. I started when I was 13 (nearly 12 years ago!) and self taught myself over the years. Alot of the stuff for A+ is like revision for me. I'm currently setting up my own pc repair and upgrade business, which I'm hoping will bring me alot more experience (and money :)).

I'm planning on getting my exams booked for the second week of next month.

As soon as I take them, I'll be starting on the N+ which I have very very very limited experience in. Then I will be taking the S+, all of which I hope to have done and passed by August.

12. ZZR1100

ZZR1100 Bit Poster

Wow - thats spooky.
    You sound like your in exactly the same position as me.!
    Ive been building/working on PCs for some 12 years (im 25) And i also advertise locally and offer my services to fix PCs. Its not a buisness as such, but its a bit of extra money. Im hoping to try and expand, maybe to give up my full time job and concentrate on that.
    I recieved my A+ book yesterday, and i feel i know alot of the things in there.
    Its the N+ which will be my weak point, the same as you.

How your buisness going? Do you just do call out work at the moment?

Ed

13. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

Bloody hell! That's scary! lol.

I don't advertise my business as such, but I do do alot of pc repair for people at work. I've just registered a web site, www.pctech-online.co.uk but have still got to design the site. When that is up and running, I'll be advertising in the local paper. If you want to make a good impression on people with advertising, you can buy a sim card from eBay with a good, easy to remember number. If you want to set up a website cheaply, www.1and1.co.uk are dirt cheap.

Have you learnt much from the book yet? I have learnt alot of stuff, but I also find that alot of it is revision.

14. ZZR1100

ZZR1100 Bit Poster

I only got the book last night - so not really. Although i skimmed through it, and i was surprised about some of the content. A bit more technical then i excpected. Its not just about installing RAM and hard disk, but im sure i'll cope.

Setting up a website is a great idea. But an adevrt in the paper will probably be a more productive next step.
    The problem i have is i cant answer my phone at work, so i have to hope poeple leave a message so i can get back to them. I used to do this for a job, so i would love to get back into it. Im sick of being tied to this desk.. :(

Good luck.