field engineer in waiting

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sparky1888, Oct 12, 2007.

1. sparky1888

sparky1888 Byte Poster

Hi guys,

i aint been on here for way too long, hope you are all doing ok.

ok, riddle me this,
    last year i done an IT course with Cerco.....great course,follow up by their recruitment dept leaves a lot to be desired(least said the better!!)

so, i eventually get a job on the fones for AOL....usual tech helpdesk kinda stuff, 4 months later i get offered a job with a major computer manufacturer, again doing helpdesk support, which to be honest is a great job.

Im always learning new issues for our systems etc, and im getting all my A+ stuff for free, im due to sit my exam in the next 4/6 weeks.......

once i get my A+, im looking to become a field engineer , thing is i dont know where to start looking, ie companies etc.....

I stay in Glasgow, i have tried the usuals Banctec/Getronics etc but cant seem to get my toe,never mind my foot in the door.......

any advice guys, im gonna be pulling my hair out soon!!!!

Take care amigos

Sparky

Certifications: Cerco's CCSN A+ DCSE
    WIP: MCITP , N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Keep plugging away mate, get some more experience and add a few certs to your CV. I stay in Glasgow too and the last job we advertised got over 300 applications! :ohmy Lots of competition out there!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with sparky, the only way to get the foot in the door is to keep going at it. Plus you are getting the experience doing help deks, plus the cert you are preparing for now is going to help you out.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Yup. That's a world-wide situation too. There was a desktop support job offered at a local college, and they received something like 500 applications from 4 different states. The competition is intense.

For me, I think the newbie has the best chance, if they can afford to work for nothing for a while, through an internship. The employer gets to know you, you get to know the employer, and first-hand knowledge of a potential employee is always worth far more to the employer than talking to third party.

The next best thing is networking. Not computer networking, people networking. Getting to know people in the industry so that they will think of you when the appropriate jobs open up. The inside track always beats a cold call in any form of sales, and getting a job is nothing more than selling yourself.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When interviewing for my replacement at my last job for a senior-level network engineer, I received about 150 resumes. You wouldn't believe how many of them were entry-level folks... and guess where their resumes ended up?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Framed on your wall? :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Posted the best in the server room, where we laughed at them daily. :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Field Engineer you say

im one of those, want to swap jobs? Haha

nah its alrite, if you like 2 hours work per week:blink

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+