Fiddler

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by zxspectrum, May 16, 2018.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hello

Has anyone used Fiddler at all? I am just getting onto it now as I think it may be very useful for what we are about to venture into. So in this role I help look after a VLE called blackboard, some of you may have used it if you have ever been to Universty/college over the last 10 years, some people may have used Moodle instead, which is another VLE

So at the moment we have a managed host set up, basically the stuff that I would like to do on the back end of a server is done for us, well that's if we cant do it. We will be moving to a SaaS set up pretty soon and I have been talking to various people who have made the transition. Now from what I gather there really isn't much we can do if things go wrong, we can just report it to BlackBoard themselves and they will try and resolve it.

One person I did speak to said they had issues with a broken link which affected a building block called turnitin, they said it took them 2 weeks before the broken link was discovered. This is why have chosen to use fiddler, one thing I am thinking is creating and saving sessions from our main server then if I can and things go belly up, compare the old with the new links to see if that gives me an indication of (if) whether its something I can let people at BB know so they can resolve it?

Does that make sense or am i wasting time or peeing in the wind? If anyone has used fiddler for this purpose, how did you get on and would you have any pointers on how I should approach this?

Thanks for any advice

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yeah used it loads of, its a http debug proxy, normally you use it to sniff HTTP traffic between two components in active development to see whats going on.

Broken links are normally found using a program called a web crawler.

3. zxspectrum

Dave, is the full name of the program called Win Web crawler?

Cheers

Ed

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I tend to write my own crawlers, but yeah there are loads of commercial ones.

5. zxspectrum

Wow, i don't think I would have the skill set to do that, or the will power

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Dave's a machine. Some say he can't be killed with conventional weapons

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

They use it at my place..never been interested enough to find out what it is in all honesty.

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

But we just call him Dave ;)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA