Fibre Optic Security

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by zimbo, Oct 27, 2007.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Kind of a long shot but here we go.. I have locked horns with my module leader for using a non-credible sourse of information to prove something he doesnt think it possible. Now because i included this information in my presentation i lost marks - got a 2:1 - which MOST PEOPLE would be happy with but i guess you know me by now.... yeah i want my FIRST so here is the giff!!

Now the information at stake here is that you can actually tap or hack a fiber optic cable without penetrating the actual cable and using 1dB of information get all the info you need and all this undetected! Now i got my information from This which comes from SANS Institute and person studying one of their certs. Now I did some research and came across This after the prof didnt like my source. Does anyone have any ways i can do about this? I have already emailed the lady concerned with the review but i thought someone like trip would help me with proving my source or maybe a security expert who has heard of this. BTW this isnt very new - not many people seem to believe this is possible but according to the articles it is!

Help anyone? 8)

ps i know its friday nite 2am .... :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

zimbo,

What "non-credible sourse of information" was used by your module leader?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

he claims the whitepaper isnt a credible source..

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You could always appeal the decision I Suppose. Talk to your Advisor and state that you feel you were unfairly marked down, provide the evidence you can to back it up, and see what happens.

Alternatively, since the mark down was actually because of using a 'non-credible source', rather than for incorrect information. Demand (by copying in your Advisor to the email) to know exactly what the criteria are, that determines if the source is non-credible.

Failing that, theres always someone whos in charge of the teaching for that sector of the university, file a complaint with them.

In any case, make sure you get good backup to your argument before you go ahead.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Get yourself down to your Students' Union - they will have advice on how to proceed with this - not on the IT specific stuff :) but they will be able to advise you if there is an appeal route to go down.

I was heavily involved with my Students' Union when I was at uni, and advised students all the time on appeal procedures, and even represented the students against the university when they couldn't (ie, could put a decent arguement across/poor presentation/public speaking skills) - some were at the level of being expelled, others were on this level of "loss".

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks for the replies guys! Sparks this doesnt mean that its not possible to tap the cable undetected and extract information without it being noticed?

8. Sparky

How did you approach your assignment? Did you say it *was* possible or did you outline both sides of the arguement and give a conclusion?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

It has been suggested.... 8)

10. Sparky

You should be a politician mate! :biggrin

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hahaha im meeting with the tutor tomorrow cause he reckons i might have a point!!! :biggrin

12. Sparky

Hope all goes well mate :biggrin

13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

So how did the meeting with your tutor go?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

not too well.. he still didnt like the source so to avoid going from a 2:1 to a 2:2 i shut up and said alright with a smile and left! :biggrin

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Surely because you disagree with him doesn't mean he should threaten to downgrade you even further, I'm sorry but when people in some sort of position of power who do that really make my blood boil.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no no meaning the main part of our presentation was bogus does... :biggrin