Few questions about website...

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by HTF, Oct 25, 2009.

1. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hello,

I'm trying to create my first website using adobe products (Dreamweaver/Photoshop) but I have few questions as I stuck, link to my website below:

http://yee.sytes.net

user: test

password: t3st

1. I know that I should slice the boxes of the packages because they need to be flexible but is there some way to do so as they are not symmetric and it is not possible to repeat middle part like in the example from the link (http://http://alt-web.com/DEMOS/Image-slices-in-a-CSS-based-layout.shtml)

2. what would be the best way to put some text like in the picture below, I was thinking to create a div - wrap around selection (picture of package) and then inside this div create another one with appropriate size and position so it would be fix

[​IMG]

3. Is it possible to delete the colour of the links so there won't be any after visit or if it's active and so on...

4. Is it good way that I put the small images-slices even if the background is the same, there are doubled but I didn't know how to keep the distances of whole website

5. How can I disable dragging website pictures I mean if I click on the picture I can drag something like its 'ghost'

6. How to disable selection/copy of the text

Sorry for so many questions but it's really important for me and I don't know how to go further, thx in advance.

Certifications: A+
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

1. Yes. You can use whatever images you want for the three containers and control the repeat in CSS. I don't know why you'd want to stop the middle part repeating though: the whole point of using this method is to have a box which is flexible on the y-axis so will expand/contract depending on the space taken up by the content.

2. I'd put in a content div and position the top left using padding

3.CSS has a:visited, a:link etc pseudo-classes to control link colours. googletastic.

4. this one is lost in translation.

5. Don't think so, but no one else seems to find it a problem.

6. Don't think so. you could put the text in as an image or use flash but I don't think there's a way to stop copy/select on text actually in the HTML source itself.

Some general observations:
    Try to avoid using table for positioning. If you need a table, go ahead, if you need to position, use DIVs or other containers.
    Try to avoid using absolute dimensions (pixels for example) and try to use relative dimensions (%, em etc). Not everyone has the same monitor size as you.
    I see you have an id called body. Although this shouldn't conflict with the body html tag you might want to change that to make things easier for yourself later on.

Advice: Learn more about CSS.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sunday. Day off.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Thank you for help.

The problem is that it's hard to slice this particular image so that it would work properly in the browser, I've done something like this from the link below and as you can see it's repeating this part with PC
    http://wook.sytes.net/(I forgot to delete bootom text but that just a quick example)

I understand that you mean div - wrap around selection (picture of package) and then position using padding or any other way of inserting DIV?

I would like to actually disable this option so it won't be any coulors

- but it's most important for me ;), I mean by this that during slicing in the photoshop there were few additional slices which I put in the table to keep the positioning of the website but they are not necessery as the background is the same

-according to what you've said I will try without this additional slices and I'll use DIVs to position instead of tables but I don't know how to exactly match images positions like they were in photoshop, I hope now it's clear

Once again thank you very much for your help and all tips.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, you can effectively remove all formatting from a hyperlink by setting the link, hover and visited colours as being the same and removing the text decoration.

However, it's not really good design practice to do so.
    To help your visitors navigate it should be clear where the links are, and which ones they have already visited.
    Sometimes you need to strike a balance between design considerations and usability.

If you are using an image as a link, you can just set the border attribute to zero to avoid that nasty box from appearing around it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi,

I have another issue with the website now ;)

I created simple form like on the website below:

http://wook.sytes.net/

- and simple php script (like below) but unfortunately it's not working, nothing happend when I submit the form,
    do I have to configure somehow my server so it could communicate withe the script. I have php and mysql I also installed forum on my server and it's working fine so I don't know what i have to do to make it work. please be patient as it's my first website ;)

Regards

7. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

didnt know this was php school :p
    PHP:
    <?php

/* Subject and Email Variables */

$emailSubject 'Crazy PHP Scripting';
    $webMaster '[email protected]';

/* Gathering Data Variable */

$emailField $_POST['email'];
    $nameField $_POST['name'];
    $subjectField $_POST['subject'];
    $messageField $_POST['message'];

//changed method of body
    $body "<br\><hr><br\>";
    $body .= "Email: " $email "<br\>";
    $body .= "Name: " $name "<br\>";
    $body .= "Subject: " $subject "<br\>";
    $body .= "Message: " $message "<br\>";

$headers "From: $email\r\n";
    $headers .= "Content-type: text/html\r\n";
    $success mail($webMaster$emailSubject$body$headers);

/* Results rendered as HTML */

//changed EOD
    $theResults "<html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv=\"Content-Type\" content=\"text/html; charset=utf-8\" />
    <title>Untitled Document</title>
    </head>

<body>
    Thank you!
    </body>
    </html>"
    ;

// changed "$the Results" 
    echo $theResults;

?> 
    personally, i wouldnt use EOD, but im quite old in the way i code

also i'd have
    PHP:
    if($sucess){
     echo 
    $theResults;
    }
    else{
    //email fail
    }

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  8. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Thank you for help but it's still not working, do i need mail server to this or any other server configuration?

9. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

a mail server should be specified in php.ini on your server

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  10. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

It's been a while since I've done this, but is $headers correct? Is a MIME-type necessary here? Also you would need "From:".$email."\r\n";

Also, shouldn't $email be $emailField etc in $body

The PHP manual has an example HTML email you might want to look at. I'm not sure why they have the \r\n double-quoted and concatenated to single-quote text, so don't ask.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  11. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hello,

Thank you for help!

1. I was testing a lot of php scripts and I have one that it's working now but unfortunately only with my domain email account and with google acount it's not< I receive error:
    How can I solve this?

2. How to prevent users from refreshing the form after has been sent so I wouldn't receive more that one emails, I placed something like this in the php code:
    - but it didn't help

3. How to set image veryfication, is it a lot of work?

Thx for any help in advance.

Reg