Feel like a dumb blonde!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by twizzle, Feb 23, 2012.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok fellas its been a long while since i posted anything on here. And thats mainly due to not doing enough IT stuff anymore. However i have now been asked to do some basic tech stuff at work and am having a really bad mind fart!

I have 2 Pcs on a workgroup and need to share a file between them (and eventually more users / pcs). I have teh file on one setup as shared (not using Simple file sharing), and can see it on the other. I just keep getting XXXXis In accessible. You might not have permission to access this network source.

And now i'm stuck as i cant figure out what i need to do next. I'm adding the remote user to Admin group and giving admin group permission to access the local file. But still get this error. DO i need to create the remote user as a user on teh local pc as well? Its been so long since i've done this.

After that i may have to also add a user who is on a domain so that they can also access this file on teh workgroup. Any help?

as always, thanks in advance. (boy do i need to brush up on some basics!!) :oops:

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hey twizz,

What you will need to do in WG environment is create an identical user account on the pc's hosting the share that is being used to access it.

So if user BigRon wants to access the file on pc2 from pc1 then pc2 will need a user account called BigRon with the same password set up as well.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Yeah i had done that, but i hadnt created a password for the user on the local PC. Soon as i added a password i could remotley connect to the folder and map a drive to it etc. Said i felt like a dumb blonde lol. Now to create users for all those that need access, add them to the admin group or a new group just for that folder.

Any ideas on getting the same file working from a user on a domain while this pc stays on a workgroup?

This feels so embarassing as i told work i can do this sort of stuff, then take almost 2hrs to do it lol. AS they say, the more often you do it the more ya remember it. And i havent done it for sooooooooo long.

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

The only way I can think of is mapping a drive from the domain users desktops to the share using different credentials either through the folder gui or by using "net use" cmd prompt

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Dales, that worked fine. Mapping it as a drive from the domain Pcs worked a treat. I've also mae sure teh User have different passwords on local PCs from remote Pcs, just in case anyone tries to access the file directly on teh local pc uisng the remote user credentials..

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ooh, I feel like one too.

Any idea where I can get one?

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

tut! theres always one that has to lower the tone isn't there! :rolleyes:

8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Yeah ya can have mine! need to trade her in for newer model anyway! ;)

9. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok as an addditional to this. Now that i've got the users accessing the file etc..... How do i hide thier user name on the hosting PC? When logging into windows it now shows a list of around 8 names to log in with. While the users may have limited access to the PC i'd rather thier names were hidden from login screen. They shouldnt need to physicaly sit at the host, just access teh file from thier own PCs.

10. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

you can use classic logon - where the users have to type in their username and password. Obviously some might moan about it. not sure if you can hide others on simple logon screen. to change it to classic you can use local policy -> computer configuration -> administrative templates -> system -> logon
    i'm sure there was a way to change it in control panel as well, can't find it now