FEEDBACK ON MY CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by burchie, Apr 3, 2008.

1. burchie

burchie Bit Poster

hi all am having no luck getting an interview can someone please look over my c.v and giv eme some pointers

Attached Files:

Certifications: a+ n+
    WIP: mcdst, mcse
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The MCSE will make you terribly overcertified for your experience level. The A+, Network+, and MCDST are good for getting entry-level tech jobs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

The core skills is the right stuff but hard to read, maybe just use 1 type of formatting e.g. bullet points

have u actually got any of the exams towards the MCSE? It may be worth saying ur aiming to be MCP qualified by xxx rather than MCSE if u havent

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ditch the MCSE entirely, if you have to mention it perhaps say you are studying towards Microsoft certification or something like that.

Perhaps ditch the 3 Weddings bit and replace it with the A+ instead.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. burchie

burchie Bit Poster

ok will make the changes suggested apart from that does it look alright

6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You might want to tidy up your CV and concentrate on your experience and skills set especially after your profile and ditch the achievements pointers.

In terms of the MCSE, you don't need to mention this on your CV and start looking for first line help desk support roles to gain a foot in the door.

Lastly, use bullet points and keep your profile to three lines as recruiters are lazy and wouldn't read this and might be a hindrance on your part. Best wishes:) and lastly don't give up and be persistent as best you can.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

You have the right idea as a lot of people just list their jobs and not write in an achievement-based style. You need to cut out anything that isn't IT-relevant (such as running 3 weddings) and highlight any IT experience you may have gained in non-IT related positions, giving examples where possible.

I think your main problem is that you haven't had any IT positions as yet, and it's hard to find employers willing to take on someone with no real experience in the industry. You do have management experience though, which I think is a plus on any CV.

I would remove MCSE certification until you've at least one years' commercial experience, as it holds no value otherwise.

Also, your grammar is a little bit iffy in parts, it has to be perfect. Do you know anyone in HR or recruitment (someone that looks at a lot of CV's) who could give it a look over?

Hope this helps, and good luck.

8. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Just out of interest, what did you do between 1990 and 1992?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

For yous skillset, you need to make it a lot sharper - this is where you sell yourself - if you can make it as precise and convincing as possible with as fewer words as possible, then you'll at least attract the reader to glance further down the CV...and see that you have done A+ etc, which then keeps the interest further...

Sorry - this is a bit of a cr4p example, but did it in about 3 minutes!

"I am a proactive, decisive, highly motivated and conscientious individual.
    Stimulated by new ventures and opportunities, I am highly adaptable and able to take on a challenge following it through to the end.

Having built my IT knowledge via a combination of experience and study, I am seeking a rewarding opportunity that will allow me to combine my excellent customer skills within a technical environment – taking my career up to the next level within the IT industry"

Cheers,

Lee

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  10. burchie

burchie Bit Poster

have made a couple of the suggested changes and am still having no joy arghhhhhhhhh someone help me

11. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

what kind of jobs r u aiming at Burchie?

If its first line tech then they probably won't want the :

"Oversaw major redevelopment of courtyard area into new rosette standard restaurant.
    Increased Company Turnover through negotiating new rates with major clients
    Successfully ran 3 weddings simultaneously from planning to event end ensuring complete customer Satisfaction"

The key skills has the right stuff in it but is hard to read. I would consider just bullet pointing it as it looks a little messy.

will have more of a think later

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination