Feedback on "Job Gaurantee" training firms?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Dix, May 23, 2005.

1. Dix

Dix Bit Poster

hi all,

been looking at job gauranteed training setups - views seem mixed, so my 3-part query is this:

1) has anyone here actually studied at one of these firms, if so, which one? (if you don't mind saying)
    2) what was the quality of training/frequency of courses?
    3)did they actually DELIVER on the job promise?

Nb: I know i'm a newb here, so pls. note i've no wish to offend the mods and co.! I'm not looking to start a flame war, only see what people's exp. has been in the past.. thanks all! :)

Certifications: MCSE win2k
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I think you may find many, many large pinches of salt amongst the responses here, Dix. Sad but true, it's the age old adage "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably IS !!!"

Caveat emptor !!!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Have to agree with Gav here. Promises or no, there are some things a provider has no ability to guarentee.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Unless they hire you themselves lol. Its nothing new, all training firms colleges and universitys are doing the same, filling peoples heads with dreams. Dont listen to them.

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You need to check the wording carefully and read the small print. There is a big difference between quaranteeing you a job and guaranteeing you improved job opportunities or help in finding you a job.
    The former is either a con, or they intend to employ you themselves to make the tea.
    The latter will promise you the help and support you need to get your CV in order and maybe point you in the right direction. This can be a great help if you don't know where to start or what a good CV should look like. It's a service though, not a job guarantee.

At the end of the day, the only person who can get that job is you. If your CV sucks or you do badly at an interview, nobody can help you. I would be suspicious of anyone who assures you otherwise.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

As was mentioned earlier... check the small print. Some companies, and Scheidegger spring to mind, don't actually guarantee a job - they guarantee an interview with an AGENCY who will probably offer to take you onto their books and then possibly/probably get you work.

I saw a guy from CompuTeach last month who was very upfront and honest. He said they don't and CAN'T guarantee you a job at the end of the course. If anyone offers that kind of insentive they are either a) lying or b) thinking of offering you a week long temporary contract in Iraq....

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I am with Scheidegger, and was not in any way mislead when interviewed by them - they are in assosciation with agencies and job search companies. On completion of a course they will register you with said companies. Think of it this wise: applying for a job internally. You are the only internal applicant, someone external gets the job. If your own company cannot guarantee you a position of employment, I wouldn't expect anyone else to be able to do it either.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Sorry if I infered that they were misleading... didn't mean it to sound that way and it wasn't my intention. As I've said in another thread I don't intend getting into a flaming war even though I could tell you a horror story - but this isn't the place.

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

what? proposterous! i guarantee all my students jobs!
    there are ofcourse positions cleaning my pool, washing my fleet of cars, and ofcourse, cooking me up a feast when im not busy teaching courses by reading a text book aloud!

come along to one of my courses, only £9999, guaranteed job or your money back*

1/1000 of your money returned, the rest will have already been spent on your 1st class training!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

LOL @ Ryan :biggrin

1/1000th ? That's quite a return, actually !!!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

lol. I'll go for that. When I've stolen my dad's bank card :rolleyes:

Keith - I wasn't taking offense mate - there's horror stories, there's love stories, but something along the lines of a distance learning sticky - things we all know and assume - instead of several different threads about the same thing - would be beneficial.

(and I wouldn't mind writing it if the Staff can't be arsed. lol.)

EDIT: as long as it doesn't land anyone around here receiving a lawsuit (just double checked Jak's thread in the forum)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA