Favorite song(s) that cross 2 or more genres...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just something off topic, I was wondering what are your favorite song(s) that cross 2 or more music genres?

Here are my top two (I do have others, but these are my top ones):

Walk this way by Aerosmith Ft Run DMC and
    We made it by Busta Rhymes Ft Linkin Park

So what are yours?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

do the songs on the S&M album by Metallica and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. If so, my favourite is nothing else matters from that album.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The song Reing by UNKLE featuring Ian Brown, not so sure about another one.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

D*mn forgot about that album, one of the few times when Heavy metal and classical really go together :biggrin

Don't think I've heard of them... Will try to keep my ears open for them :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That album does rock.

Now this song takes me back...

Anthrax & Public Enemy - Bring the Noise :rocks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abg2vOQTYrA

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

S&M does indeed rock. First heard it when I was using it for a psychology experiment. Its what got me into Metallica.

Nothing else matters was actually what caused the whole thing, incidentally. Metallica wanted some orchestral backing for the song (which you can kind of hear when listening to it), and whilst they were doing it, they conductor suggested they do a concert.

Apparently he heard nothing of it for about 10-15 years, then their agent phoned up one day, and told him 'Metallica want to do it'. He replied 'Do What?'. :biggrin

Its a fantastic album though. If they ever did it again, I would be sorely tempted to go along - probably one of the few times id be tempted to go to a proper gig.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Anything by Apocalyptica (who also do instrumental Metallica) is good.

First heard them when they were the opening act for Rammstein at their MEN gig a few years back (the Reise Reise tour). They also did 'Hall of the Mountain King' and were very, very awesome.

There are a few good cover versions (not necessarily albums as a whole) where covers have been done well. I believe they still cross genres as they've been re-done by a rock band with a new musical twist on the existing material...

Godhead's version of Eleanor Rigby is a notable one. Also I loved the Perfect Circle cover of Imagine (very melancholy, brought out a good 'other side' of the lyrics).

Having said that, the whole of A Perfect Circle's third album eMotive were covers, though I think of perhaps quite obscure artists. The only song on the album that isn't a cover is Counting Bodies (Like Sheep...) and I like the album as a whole (this is an eventual liking. When I listened to the album for the first time, I hated it. It grew on me).

I also love Disturbed's cover of Shout (Tears for Fears).

Will probably add to this later after I've had porridge and woken up some more :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

wow some brilliant examples already my fav from S&M is is no leaf clover, what about any rammstein track or joachim witt's Abendrot.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

oh yea orgy's cover of blue monday, or any clawfinger song (clawfinger are right at the top of my all time fav bands)!8)

biggest the best, better than the rest, better than the rest chug chug chugachuga!!!!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  10. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

If it's two genres colliding, both have gotta be from the soudtrack to Judgment Night

Faith No More & Boo Yaa TRIBE - Another Body Murdered
    Mudhoney & Sir Mix-A-Lot - Freak Momma

Incidentally Dales, Clawfinger were the first live big band I ever saw, as a spotty 13 year old in Brizton Academy, they were first on in supporting Alice In Chains, bought their album immediately afterwards

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I agree that's one of my favourites Unkle -Never Never Land

Ian brown (also known from The Stone Roses)

The other one - DJ shadow with Mos Def - Six days

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

My two favourite 2 collaborations, I suppose they are genre-crossers:

UNKLE featuring Thom Yorke: Rabbit In Your Headlights
    Massive Attack featuring Mos Def : Eye Against Eye (from the Blade 2 soundtrack)

The UNKLE track has an absolutely crazy video, well worth a youtube viewing.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I think that video one an award, it really freask you out when you see that car hit that bloke!:ohmy

14. Ropenfold

Actually now I think about it, March of Death with DJ Shadow and Zach de la Rocha from Rage against the machine is better the pair I have just put down Really angry anti-war record released after the Iraq invasion. Plus it was free to download when it first came out!!

15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I notice there's a lot of posts that show artist who are rap with rock bands.

If you like this combo then I can highlt recommend Judgement night a soundtrack taken from the film:- Judgement night with Emilio Estevez
    it's got artist such as Pearl Jam with Cypress hill; Faith no More with Boo Ya Tribe; Helmet with House of Pain
    Slayer with Ice-T; Biohazard with Onyx!

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Is that on the album The Outsider?:blink

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Oh Nuts!:ohmy I have just seen that post!:oops:

18. Ropenfold

I wish it was on the outsider!!! That album is appalling. The DJ shadow I know and love is no more I'm afraid. Entroducing is my favourite album I've ever heard. March of death was a free mp3 when it was issued so you don't need to worry about your ISP snooping on your illegal downloads!!, google the track name, you should be able to find a copy of it.

19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Am I right in thinking they were the total nutters who play classical instruments in a heavy metal style? If so they were very entertaining when I went to see Rammstein. Perfect support act for them really and it's not often that support acts are any good at all. (IMO)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  20. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'd have to say, currently in my collection, taht gets played often, are Hayseed dixie. They do country covers of POison by ALice Cooper, and Ace of Spades by Motorhead. Its quite cool really, and definatley crosses genres.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,