Fasthost

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by piccadilly, Mar 26, 2009.

1. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Anyone here use Fasthosts - http://www.fasthosts.co.uk - for ASP.NET?

If so, how good are they? It looks to good to be true.

I'm looking for cheap ASP.NET 2 or above hosting.

Thanks in adv.

2. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I'm never going to go near them again. Their service was constantly going down when I used them. Their staff were either unhelpful, rude or both.

On a couple of occasions they lost data and I had to restore pages from backups. Just google reviews for them and you will see that I am not alone :)

I now use Zen and am very pleased with the service.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to wait a while and see what else is out there.

Picc.

4. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

They messed up a simple nameserver change for me recently.

5. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Get yourself over to Register1 or Internet Central. Proper hosting from proper admins.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  6. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Not used them personally but I can tell you about two other companies I have used (not for ASP.NET though but still, hope it helps to get another opinion).

I originally used 1&1 for a domain name and hosting a couple of years ago. WORST COMPANY EVER.

DO NOT GO NEAR THESE IDIOTS.

They tried to pass my account over to a debt recovery agency over a bill for 7 GBP for a domain renewal even though I cancelled with them a year earlier and left the UK several years ago.

I ended up telling them I was taking them to court, prepared my claim against them when at the eleventh hour I received a phone call at 4am (my local time) from a woman claiming to be 1&1's 'top lawyer' (her words not mine, I just scoffed and pictured her in a call centre saying it) stating they wanted to settle and would wipe my account and any marks made against my name.

Too bloody right too!

I asked her to confirm this in writing which she agree but didn't do it promptly (actually not at all). So while waiting I emailed their legal department to remind them I wanted written confirmation of their intention to settle out of court and one of their idiot staff wrote me back claiming that if I had a problem I need to contact the debt recovery agency (ie: a letter for letter 'dear john' that the same pillock sent me months earlier).

I mailed back telling him to check his facts first before embarrassing himself and the company he works for (probably got his P45 after that) and haven't heard a thing since.

I have their settlement email archived though so if they ever think of trying it on with me I'll take them to the cleaners.

WORST COMPANY IN THE HISTORY OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE. EVER. FACT.

I now use Godaddy for my hosting and domain names. Sure they charge a little more than others but the service is quality so far. They do what I need to do and I am happy with them (plus the hot Danica Patrick sold me on them too hahaha).

As the old adage goes, you don't always get what you pay for...

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  7. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Don't rate GoDaddy myself, had a nightmare transferring away.

You get what you pay for. Register1 are top notch.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I used Fatshost up until this event, now I would never use them again.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

but! but! ..... DANICA PATRICK!!!!! *drool* :blink:biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA