Fastest ever download speed!!!

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Jan 31, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So last nite at about 2.30am I decided to do some downloading. I began downloading a 4.5GB file! and I was shocked at the download speed! The maximum it hit was 1.5MB/s :eek: I was thinking its gonna drop to about 50KB/s cos it normally does that anyway...but oh no it was going between 850KB/s and 1,050KB/s and it finished downloading within the hour!! I couldnt believe it!! but hey thats the fastest ever so far and I dont think I will be seeing download speeds of that magnitude for a long time!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

seems you have broken the capability of your 10mb line
    how odd :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yeah even I couldnt believe it...a 10Mb line and download speed of over 1MB? but hey it was fun while it lasted....I even noticed video streaming is just flawless...no glitches whatsoever...so now I can watch music videos without it having to worry about it re-buffering again...nice..

4. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Nice, which ISP are you with and what package?

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Telewest 10Mb connection all for a nice £35 a month my friend...:biggrin aint life grand...

oh and it aint capped either...

6. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

I'm hearing good things about NTL 10mb too, pitty it's capped at 75GB though.

7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Yeah. The main reason for having a fast connection is so large downloads don't take a long time to download, and then the ISP's limit downloads effectively killing the entire reason for having the fast connection.

I wish I could buy a connection from my little brother's ISP, but I don't live where he does. He offers 3.0 mbit up and down for $65 a month that includes up to 3 static public IP's. . I pay $49.95 for 3000kbs down and 275kbs up with a dymanic IP and the TOS says if they find an open server I'm in violation of the TOS and will have my account suspended, although the upload cap effectively kills any idea of running a server.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

:biggrin I'm paying £15/month for an '8mb' connection but i'd be shocked if i actually get near that speed, however i do live within 100m from my local exchange! my upload speed is 768k and is usually tip-top, also have a free static IP with that. Could host if i wanted to, will get round to that oneday...