Fancy dual booting your MAC into Windows

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Clyde, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

may be of interest... I prefer running remote access myself!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

you beat me to it Clyde...haha...I guess it was only a matter of time...to be honest why bother? if you want Mac OS X buy a Mac...u want windows OS buy a PC...glad we dont have to support this at work otherwise there would be pure hell on...now just waiting for a customer to ring me and ask me...and I can say "Sorry but we do not support this despite it being released by Apple. You may seek tech support on Apple's Support pages" haha...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

oh, being able to run win xp s/w natively when required without the use of a seperate box is handy I guess...

still, my mac will stay a mac, my pc a pc and remote access will let me see both from one screen.. who needs more :D

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

exactly as it should be Clyde...but here is my argument...Apple state they do not support or sell MS Windows...fine...but why let customers know they can do this? it will only backfire on Apple big time! worst of all, if they use Windows then they are subject to all the usual attacks and hacking a PC would get...unless they have the necessary security software...I just dont see why Apple should be doing this if they know damn well it wont be supported by us...I mean can you see Bill Gates making a new OS that will allow people to have Mac OS X aswell? err no I dont think so...all Steve Jobs is doing just creating more and more problems...I dont see this as a way of making life easier for anyone who owns a Mac and wants to run Windows on it...

5. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

well noel, look at it this way,

I have a mac mini and xp which environment do I prefer - right now, the mac. Sometimes though I just have to use the PC...

Were I a mac user, why would I change to windows, other than for some item of s/w I need... now I dont' need to..

I guess the real question is what does apple have to fear from MS ?

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I think u hit the nail on the head there Clyde...I mean if u read the first line in the website:

"More and more people are buying and loving Macs."

Well, I disagree with that statement cos 3 in 10 people own a Mac so its not the case at all. And to be honest Apple must be scared of Microsoft since they have the biggest slice in the software market than anyone else. I mean something tells me when they release Leopard (OS X 10.5) no doubt the implementation of dual booting to Windows will be included then we are totally screwed. My questions is tho...what do Microsoft have to say about all this? Do they fully agree with it? Will they support it? I so doubt it...