Failed OS, need help

Discussion in 'A+' started by Ken, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Ken

Ken Bit Poster

Hello all
    I've been reading your postings for a couple of months and finally decided to get stuck in, because, among other things, I need your help. (I should say at this point that I have found no better discussion board on the Web.)
    I failed the A+ OS exam last week - 484, needed 505 (I passed hardware back in August). I've been using the A+ Training Guide by Que. I sailed through the hardware no problem, although there were a few surprises, so I assumed I could go through the OS just the same way.
    To be on the safe side however, I bought the Que Exam Cram book and the accompanying questions. Read them, did the exercises, no sweat.

This is what I found on the exam: about half of the questions were not related to the material I had covered in any of these three books. They were a lot more detailed. The questions in the books were, by contrast, on the whole very general.

So this is where I am now: looking for better material so I can pass this bl**dy exam. I've looked at Preplogic, and they seem to be offering pretty good packages. But I don't know. There is so much of this stuff available. It's overwhelming. I need your recommendations. Material I can download is better (speed) but books are fine too.

I should tell you a little bit about myself. I'm not a techie, nor am I trying to be. I'm a translator, dealing with IT-related subjects. I thought it would be a good idea to get a deeper understanding of hardware and OSs, as I write about this stuff practically everyday of my life, but sometimes I don't really fully understand it all. Although I've already learnt more than I've ever known simply by going through the books, I want to pass both of these examinations. More for my own satisfaction than anything else.

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry to hear about the bad luck Ken. The book recommended by almost everybody that passed A+ is the all in one from Mike Meyers. I think you'll find the link to it in the resources thread pinned to the toop of this forum. Also, nothing teaches more than actually practicing what you read about. For example, if you're reading about the ping command, don't just read about it. Open up a command prompt and do it. Type ping /? and see what you get, play with the switches and see the results. The bottom line is that you have to experience it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi Ken, Welcome to CF. :biggrin

Congrats on the H/W pass BTW.

The best resource people recommend around here is Mike Meyers. Although this book covers both exams you will find that is is extremely good.

For exam simulations try Transcender, they aernt cheap, but are one of the best exam sims around, giving detailed explanations of answers.

8)

4. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

Why not try to obtain copies of different operating systems? I have Win 98 and XP and am probably going to buy a copy of 2000. That way I can install the different systems on different partitions [useful A+ task in itself] and gain more hands-on experience of their differences rather than just read about them. I have reached a certain point in the Mike Meyers book, and even though the text and accompanying screen shots are great, I know I need to see this stuff first-hand and experience playing around with it.

Also evaluate your exam performance and target your weaker areas. [which you seem to have done] I do not know if you receive a copy of your test paper so you can scrutinise it in detail and see what you did well and what you need to work. The more specific you can be the more focused will be your approach. It is best to target your learning towards your weaker areas in order to obtain increasing returns from the time you invest into the task.

Good luck with it. Best of wishes for your next attempt. :D

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+
  5. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello Ken:

I would agree with the others in that the Meyers book is
    great for A+.

Congratulations on passing the hardware exam and
    best of luck passing the software exam next time. :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Same as above, Ken - sorry on missing OS, well done on H/W, go with Mike Meyers and a bit of hands-on experience, and you'll nail it next time.

By the way, if you plan on hanging around, why not swing by our New Members forum up top and say hello and meet the Guys more fully :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I would echo the advice to get the Mike Myers book, but echo very loudly the advice to have copies of all the OS's covered on the software test and work through them until you know them very well. A certificate without working knowledge is going to do you no good at all.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

There probably isn't a book around that can completely anticipate all of the types of questions an exam can throw at you. Someone mentioned "hands on" above and that's an excellent idea. When taking the A+, it wasn't so much that I remembered what I'd read but what I'd done. If you have memorized the facts and more importantly, understand the underlying concepts, you will have a better shot at figuring out those "scenario" question CompTIA likes to write. Good luck on the second shot.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Ken,

Welcome to CF.
    I agree with what has been said and look on the fail as experience for the next one. At least the next time you can go in knowing what it is all about.

Best of luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Ken

Ken Bit Poster

Thanks for all your advice. I really appreciate it. I'm going to order the legendary Myers and get hold of some more tests. (I presume the Myers book covers the 2003 objectives.) I was tempted by preplogic because of their $89 dollar package offering 4 exams and regular free updates.
    I'll take the Transcender tip too. Thanks for that

You've got to admit, knowing the differences between the OSs is confusing (or is it just me?). Especially where they correlate upto a point; if they are distinctly separate, the sequences are easier to remember.
    I agree with the "hands-on" sentiment: there can be no better way, I am sure. I use 2000 at work, and up until a few months ago I had been using Me (I know, what a pile of ****) at home. I thought I knew them both inside out, and I did, but for one crucial oversight - both versions were in Japanese (I live in Tokyo). Now I'm using XP Pro SP2 (English of course) at home, but no change on the office's 2000. For questions related to 2000/Me, I have to recall the Japanese wording and guess their English equivalents. Needless to say, with Microsoft and their surreal choices, I usually get it wrong. :eek: Incidentally, the foreign language versions are usually worded far more sensibly. Typical eh.

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Wow. They language differences must add an interesting element to say the least. My daughter lived as an exchange student for a year in Sakura City, not far from Tokyo and went to high school in Narita. She's been back in the US for 8 months now. I can only imagine what an adventure it was for her...and you.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Chin up Ken, everyone fails an exam sooner or later.

I also agree, hands on in this game is an absolute must. It is impossible to remember things and understand them just by reading words. You have to practice what you preach.

If you are only doing this for your own satisfaction then all the hands on doesn't matter quite so much, but *if* you intend to gain employment and use your certs to get an interview it will be immediately apparent to a seasoned IT pro that you have not got hands on experience and therefore you would be unlikely to get the job.

Good luck on the re-sit, don't leave it too long!!!!!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Ken

Ken Bit Poster

They do, but I'm tired out and jaded. This probably isn't the place to discuss this subject . . .

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Ken, you can at least rest assured there aren't any questions on Office 2000 in the exam (if I read you correctly anyway - that's what I thought you might have meant) and as I recall, no great coverage of ME either.

15. Ken

Ken Bit Poster

Oh no, I'm sorry if I failed to make myself clear. I meant "office" as in my workplace, where we're still using 2000 (Jpnse version). I know there are no questions on Micorosoft Office, thank god! That would double the nightmare.
    Strange, but I did get a couple of questions about Me. Nothing too difficult though. I wish that particular OS could be obliterated from history. I can't count the number of times I had to reinstall it.

16. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

when you book your exams you are able to specify that you wish the english versions..

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sorry Ken - my bad. :oops:

18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

That's right. I live in Switzerland (also a language nightmare) and when I booked my exams I could choose english. Strangely enough it seems that you get a time extension when doing this as you are automatically classed as a non native english speaker taking an english exam. Cool or what?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685