Failed ICND-1

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by DevilsAdvocate, Jul 7, 2008.

1. DevilsAdvocate

DevilsAdvocate Bit Poster

Hi folks, failed ICND1 today marginally - 792/1000 needed 804. I must say as I was going through I was fairly confident on my answers - I guess I was well off the mark somewhere! The breakdown at the bottom of the sheet looked like this

Describe The Operation of data networks - 50%
    Implement a small switched network - 85%
    Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements for a small... - 60%
    Implement a small routed network - 76%
    Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a WLAN - 100%
    Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate those threats - 100%
    Implement and verify WAN links - 100%

Can anyone give me some pointers on what sections to review, I think i've got subnetting pretty much nailed but, then again, I thought i'd done well on the exam :p

Thanks guys!

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE, Server+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would say this section:

I haven't done any Cisco exams, but judging by the sounds of it, it kinda sounds like subnetting and routing between small networks?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Sorry to hear about the fail. Looking at the exam objectives:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-822.html

I guess those are the areas you should work on, subnetting included! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. DevilsAdvocate

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Simply study the sections with the lowest percentages. What Ken mentioned is solid: the IP addressing section is extremely important. Subnetting will be in just about every exam forward from this point. If you can't subnet in your head, learn to do so. That skill will be invaluable to you, not only on exams, but in "real life".

The good thing is... you're not far from a pass... a question or two, and you're there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Seeing this post made me a bit nervous for my exam, especially since my 100% cert pass record is on the line :S

However my subnetting is pretty good (doable in my head - well using fingers to count where i am at times lol) and nearly all the commands i deem necessary (well that were in the cisco book) are memorised and i know what they do.

Just one command that I need to memorise, or series of commands rather, and thats how to set up NAT, just need to keep practicing all week and reading.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. DevilsAdvocate

Re booked for the 28th of July. Gonna make sure I don't fail this time :twisted: