Failed again...

Discussion in 'A+' started by MrNice, Oct 25, 2004.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Just recieved my feedback sheet from my training provider for my A+ combined, Fail yet again, starting to lose faith, 87% not good enough! Passed my hardware then software exams with no real problems but this combined has me banging my head against the wall. :cry:

2. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Sorry to hear that, it sounds like your provider is making the mocks far harder than the real exam, if you can get 87% you obviously know what you are on about.

BTW, have you seen Howard Marks do his live talks? FANTASTIC!!! Make sure you take something to sign, he is a star for meeting and greeting the audience after his shows and is, well, very nice.

Good luck, you'll nail it next time.

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

thats the problem with those sorts of prividors who 'guarantee' free exams until you pass, they hold you back until there is no chance of you failing

if you have alot of confidence, and ability, but feel your training provider is holding you back, book the exams yourself and see how you do, if you pass, you can move on, they cant hold you back if you have the qualification

if you fail, your out of pocket for the price of an exam, but thats it!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the support, eh.... I dont need to attend his "talks" to get something signed, one of my good mates runs the museum in Amsterdam, sure you get the picture. :biggrin

5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Exactly:!:

The 'training provider' conuteach has these stupid 90% mock exams.Pathetic:!:
    Which is why I demanded my exam vouchers.Now I have my first two vouchers.I will go and take the exams when I:!: am ready.
    They told me this invalidates my free retake if I fail.Wow I really care, not.

It took me too long to realise that heck yeah I may lose a load of money if I fail, but at least I don't have to send of massess of mock papers, continually failing with zero feedback from 'tutors.'
    What an absolute joke.I feel sorry for anybody who is going that root, as it really is pointless.

Lol glad a moderator has made this obvious point, means I shouldnt get told off for stating the obvious :D Maybe.

Why has the combined been a struggle, when the individual exams have been ok.
    What thoughts do you have on why this may be.
    It's always best to write down your feelings on things as soon as possible after the event, so it's clear in your mind.

6. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Agree 100% with your views on said "training provider"
    Unsure why this particular mock is catching me out every time, I am pretty confident on the hardware side of things, got 97% first attempt on that one, software is definatley my weak side but I am working on it! I struggle with a few of the questions relating to Win98 & Win2000 as I have virtually zero experience of them in real terms. I am also getting concerned upon reading that the exam now covers wireless,XP etc, the book I have mentions this "future technology" briefly, my mocks do not have one question relating to anything like that. I am hoping the five days in-centre sort all this and I am presuming as they pay for my resits they must be aware of this. :cry:

7. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Phoenix is bang on. If your provider (I suspect Conuteach) uses transcender then the pass marks are a CMOA by the providers. I asked for the tranny (and its not often you ask that) and got used to it, filled in the gaps in my knowledge and breezed the exams.

As far as the museum goes.... very envious. Last saw him at glasto when he spoke of his latest venture which is importing reindeer p!ss, the trick is feeding the reindeer, the right stuff apparently :blink

Flex; good luck. You'll be fine, make sure you know the reasons behind the answers rather than the answers themselves.

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I struggle to see how setting a high pass mark is pathetic, to be honest its a clever move on there behalf. There obviously setting this high mark so they can 99% guarantee your up to the standard to pass the exam.

Other training providers are exactly the same, I've not done any study for months through other commitments and during this time I've not had any contact with my training provider or neither have they tried to contact me. The way I see it is I'm responsible for my training, I have paid them for the training materials and workshops and if I need help I have to ask. Yes I know I could have gone out and bought the books from amazon and saved myself some £ but thats all with hindsight.

These training providers are all in business and they have to make a profit and setting a high pass mark for there mocks gives them more of a guarantee of that.

If you feel your ready for the exam and want to go for it before reaching their set pass mark for the exam then I agree that action should invalidate your free retake. That makes sense. It just seems that theres a lot of moaning about something that in business (which what computech are at the end of the day, a business) makes complete sense.

I agree that no feedback is unacceptable, I would expect my mocks to be marked by somebody that has some teaching qualifications and that they provide constructive feedback. As there line of business is training then this is poor quality.

I read in another thread here that somebody called their support line to ask for help but the person didn't have much an idea about the questions being asked, this is totally unacceptable for a training provider, unless there was a valid reason. I on one occasion called my provider to ask for help but was told that the person I needed to talk to was out till tomorrow but would call me back (he did and was of great help), but I thought that there must be more that one person there that can help.

Anyway............just thought I'd give the other side of the argument to an intersting thread.

Like you say you have the vouchers now so theres no holding you back, so go get em. :salut

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  9. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

haha, some interesting points.

I can appreciate what your saying regarding the 90% pass mark and therefore forefiting the garaunteed resit policy if you take the exam before they believe you are ready. I have first hand experience of the telephone tutor service offering no help at all as they dont cover A+ or MCSE. If you get 85% on your first attempt and they can see that you maybe made a couple of silly exam mistakes then by all means send it back and ask you try again If you are getting below 70% then you more than likely aint done your homework so same applies, but when you are getting the same exam for the fifth time and have never got below 80% or above 87% it all becomes rather tedious.
    I dont even have a major problem with the frequent dubiously worded questions as I accept this is true of the official exam but to get 100 A+ questions and not one of them is about wireless LAN or Win XP, please?
    My main concern has always been the expected duration of the course advised to me before I signed up and the ever nearing CDL repayment date. I was expecting and was advised the course A+, MCSE would take approx 2 years, already nearing a year and I am still on A+.
    I disagree with the teaching method - read the book, tested to see if you understood it, and then no further guidance when you realise you never!
    Anyhow, maybe I should spend more time studying than posting on this forum!

10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

You wont beleive how many times I tell myself that every week. :oops:

From reading this and other threads it seems to me that computeach have a major problem with the quality of thier services and support. Has any computech member here made a complain to them about this or any other matter? what was the responce?

11. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I sent them an email regarding this a week and a bit ago, Just after I recieved my 3rd fail. I basically informed them of my views on the training methods and requesting some advice on where I was going wrong, the response, eh... well I am still waiting on it.

12. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

Man that sucks.

Certifications: None currently
    WIP: CompTIA A+ & Network+
  13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Pathetic:!:

14. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I'd send them an email every day CC'ed to another address to prove it was sent until they at least acknowledge the you exist. :tune :deal

15. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I done exactly that,
    The girl on the phone was denying they have ever recieved this email of complaint, I said to her that I had sent it in and she garaunteed me they have never recieved it, I informed her the conversation was being recorded as I am considering the "breach of contract avenue" a little white lie but hey :ohmy , again I mentioned every time I send the email I get an automated reply and she informs that means nothing. At this point in the conversation I let her waffle on some more before informing her, she has never asked my name or student number, I have never talked to her before, so how can she possibly know what email or to whom infact she is talking to/about?
    I then gave her my student number and within 5 minutes my mobile was ringing with an A+ tutor on the line, needless to say I got my answers and am know awaiting my exam date :D

16. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

At least you got an answer, although it shouldn't have taken you that long.

I would've advised you to run far far away from this provider when you've got your A+ but as I see you're doing a combo course I guess you're stuck with 'em until you get your MCSE.

Certifications: None currently
    WIP: CompTIA A+ & Network+