Failed 70-270 twice

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by guicane, Jun 16, 2008.

1. guicane

guicane New Member

Hi everybody,

Today I have failed for the second time this exam, first time I wasnt much prepared and got 480 only and today I got 587 out of the 700 needed. I'm devastated. I used mostly ucertify.com to prepare and at home I do great and I pass every time. But there the questions are harder, I dont know, and I just cant make it. Any tips ? Any other place with good mock exams other than ucertify?

Thanks everybody.

Neto

Certifications: MCDST
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

What books and other study aids have you used?

Do you use XP day in, day out?

Have you used the Self Test, Measure Up or Transcender type tests that you can buy off the net?

Using the same thing to test yourself on is not going to help prepare you for the exam.

BTW, welcome to CF. :)

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Are you just using practice exams from ucertify? Have you got any books or CBT's that you studied from? What about practical experience?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. malik06

malik06 Nibble Poster

Sorry to hear about your failures mate. Failing an exam twice must be brutal. :(

I strongly recommend that you switch from the ucertify materials to the MS text.
    Do the practices as listed in the book and the mini-quizzes at the end of each lesson.

Then try a practice exam from a reputable company like Transcender or Boson.
    When you do well with those, you know you're ready.

You can also search around this site for guides to homestudy.
    People who know plenty more than I do have laid it out very well for beginners like you and me. :)

Good Luck!

P.S. I never actually buy textbooks anymore. I subscribe to Safari Books Online instead. They give you full access to thousands of textbooks from major publishers. It's very economical, and with Safari you don't blow big bucks on a textbook and then discover that you think it's rubbish!

Certifications: Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  5. guicane

guicane New Member

Thanks for your replies!

I have been using XP since it was RC2 back in 2001 I guess. I really can work my way around it but in practice!

I struggle on basic stuff like Installing Windows XP Professional and succeed in harder things like network protocols and services. I unfortunately never used XP in a professional environment with Remote instalation, group policies, etc and that makes it harder to get an idea on what they are actually talking about as I only know it in theory.

I have the official microsoft book which i read almost all of it and i have used ucertify very much before this last exam I took today.

Self Test, Measure Up or Transcender, I have only heard of Transcender and I went for uCertify as it was like 4 times cheaper but now I will have to pay for the exam again so...

Thanks guys for all the support you give the members.

Neto

6. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

On the plus side, a score of nearly 84% can't be that far off being a pass - at least your moving in the right direction.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  7. Kitkatninja

Have you thought about doing the 70-271? Which is half of the MCDST, but a MCP in it's own right. It is "easier" than the 70-270, imo.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. guicane

guicane New Member

Hi Wagner, I saw it but I'm trying to go for the MCSE and I´ve already spend so much time on the 70-270 that I cannot afford to "abandon" it.

Thanks for the tip!

9. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Just keep on, keep or even start doing mocks each day and Don't give up

As other have said your score going up. Here the the 3rd time .)

10. malik06

malik06 Nibble Poster

Actually, you might want to switch your focus to 271 as Ken suggested.

70-271 is basically 70-270 lite, so all the prep you've put in for 270 wouldn't be wasted in any way.

And 70-271 is half of the MCDST cert, which can be used as an elective on the MCSE track.
    (That's how I'm using my MCDST... as an elective for my MCSA cert.)
    Passing the easier exam (271) might also give you a psychological boost to help you slay the 270.

Just a thought. :)

Certifications: Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  11. Kitkatninja

Just letting you know that the MCDST does not count towards the MCSE, but like you've pointed out it does count towards the MCSA.

@guicane, to be honest without the required experience to go with the MCSE, I would advise very strongly to aim for the MCDST and maybe the MCSA (at the most), otherwise you'll be classed as a paper MCSE and that won't help you. Especially when you have problems currently with the basics (installing, etc) and while you may have a good grasp of the "harder" things now, you will find that you will struggle when it really starts to get to the nitty gritty.

Remember that these professional quals should reflect you're job role and responsibilities.

-ken

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sorry to hear you didn't pass this exam but don't give up and keep at it. I also strongly recommend you get the MS press book, second edition and go through cover to cover carrying out all the practice using virtual PC or VMWare software.

Best wishes and third time might be a charm:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You get what you pay for. Go for cheap stuff... you get cheap stuff. Go for high-quality stuff, and you won't have to get something else to fill in the holes... nor will you likely have to repay for an exam.

Best of luck on your next attempt!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I don't want to try and put you off guicane, but if you have failed the 270 twice your propects of passing the MCSE are grim to say the least. It would be like someone failing the basic driving test for poor clutch control who expected to go on and be a F1 driver.

That's not to say things are hopeless, but I would read the other advice given in the thread already very closely. Once you have actual experience using these technologies in a live environment, it will help massively when it comes to taking the exams. Most questions can be worked out logically based on your experience when you have it to fall back on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. guicane

guicane New Member

Hi Modey, thanks for your support.

I decided to go with the 70-271 and 272 first to get the MCDST. Thanks for everyone that put their thought into this and tried to help.

Neto

16. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

just one quick question, did you use the exam marks sheet (the sliding bars) to find out where you need to focus your efforts on?

Its been a while since i did 70-270, but from the MS press book, there were lots of labs to do, which reinforce items you may not be sure about.

Try installing vmware server and use the 30/60 day CD trial to go through the labs.

Also why not look at CBT such as CBT nuggets or one of the many more, as i find i learn quicker from video, but have also found there are gaps (which are filled by books and experience)

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  17. guicane

guicane New Member

Hello everybody, I want to thank everyone for all the support and tips!

I have decided to go for the MCDST and will be taking the 271 next Monday 14th.

I have been using Transcender to study and am getting about 95% everytime. I really hope this time I will be ok! :)

Any tips anyone? :)

Regards,

Neto

18. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It seems like you're doing the right thing so keep at it and also use the MS press book as well to fill in any gaps. Best wishes and lets know how you get on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  19. guicane

guicane New Member

hi again!

I want to thank everybody, I passed the 70-271 today and im going to do the 272 at the end of July!

Thanks so much for all your support!

20. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass! That is great news... and best wishes for the 272. :D