Failed 270

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by twizzle, Apr 11, 2011.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

well you may have read my otehr post in the server exams that i was swapping from 290 to 270 at last minute as i felt more confident on thisone. Seems that was a misplaced confidence. Sat it today and got 544 fail! On the summary you get at the end, most of teh bars are towards teh middle non being really strong or weak. yet i still failed, so thisshows i need more revision.

Only thing is, i wasnt concentrating on teh questions too much. All i could think about was why am i sitting this? I dont need it for my job, and i'm not getting very far with my carear in IT as i always seem to be taking steps backwards not forwards. Since sitting the exam all i can think about is why bother? I feel i've lost my enthusiam for IT, my passion and my drive. And a lot of it comes down to my current role. Its supposed to be IT but all i do most days is enter data into our MRP system then help in despatch or goods in. Its making me depressed and killing any drive i had. Now that means to me its time to move on, and i only been in here for 2 months! But its currently hard to get a job doing what i like in IT, teh last one i had i left as i had a falling out with the boss and couldnt stick it anymore.
    So its left me wondering. Do i carry on persuing IT, or jump now an change direction entirley? I dont have many qualifiactions that can help me elsewhere, Electronic servicing and PAT being it, and thier over 5 years old or 10 years! So i'd have to start from scratch.

I will attempt thi sexam again in a few weeks, if i can get time off work again, and have to do teh 290 again by end of June as thats when teh vouchers run out, so its a lot to do in short time. But in my current mood it seems almost impossible. Is this just post exam failure depression, or true lose of drive and passion?

Sorry for teh long whine and moan. But hey the sun is shining and i'm off for teh rest of teh day! (mind you i have an interview soon!)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I'm currently contracting since I finished my masters and although its an IT position it also involves a lot of admin. Its not what i want to be doing but at the moment its money. Each month i have been aiming to complete an exam toward my MCSA. There are a few other exams/courses i want to complete before my contract ends as well. I often lose my enthusiasm but i have to push my self along as i know there are greater long term benefits.

You failed an exam that you didn't really revise for so at the end of the day you weren't fully prepared so don't be hard on your self. I thought i knew a lot about XP but until i did my revision I found several areas that i was quite weak in.

You should upgrade your MCDST to MCITP instead of taking the 270.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcdst.aspx#tab3

The 290 exam is a lot more challenging. I am currently revising for the 291 which so me seems even harder.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. kfoulks2011

kfoulks2011 Bit Poster

dont give up man. Losing the drive from time to time is normal. Getting burned out is not such a bad thing. Take a week or 2 off and just relax. Then hit the books again. Your not going backwards. Any step you take in your career as an IT professional is a step closer to a better job and higher salary. any certification is great and adding on to what you have is not a waste. main thing is dont let yourself get burned out. Enjoy it, your learning one of the things that makes this world work.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-680
  4. THXbob

THXbob Bit Poster

Hi Twizzle

I know how you feel, your not getting enough exposure to real IT and I'm at the other end. Being the sole IT monkey and having to sort out the daily IT problems has ground me into the ground. I'm so sick of hearing my name at work I'm thinking of changing it! There's never any cover so it doesn't stop whilst on holiday either, turn off the Blackberry and they ring my home phone!

The certs might not be beneficial now but they will be in the future. Do stick with it fella. You just need to find a little spark to get that fire burning again.

Robert

WIP: CompTIA A+ and Network+
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Bad luck, I got burned up on 270 back in 2003 and got a score of 645...I was gutted! Retook it in 2004 and got 900. I must admit that I did learn a lot from studying XP, especially from the LearnKey XP cbt.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...