Facts and Figures

Discussion in 'A+' started by steveh2001, May 11, 2006.

1. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Just been working my way through the microprocessors chapter in the A+ All in one book, and after managing to understand the components of the CPU im onto the section which lists every single Intel and AMD cpu made :blink

Anyway my question is for the exam to what extent do we need to know the numbers/figures quoted in the book? E.g. ever CPU has a list of L1/2/3 cache, Multiplier, clock speed etc, do we need to learn each and every number on there?

I understand the concepts of all these, its just learning every single detail is going to be tough!!

Cheers :D

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO you need to know the outline of progression, but not exact numbers.

This allows you to realize that an answer line mentioning a 4GHz PII didn't exist, so you can disregard that possible answer.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i think as long as you know the concept your ok... ...i think

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Steve,

Go to Comptia and get the latest objectives. It might seem confusing at the moment but as you get further into the course these facts do *sink in* eventually :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I remember posting almost exactly the same sentiments back at the beginning of the year..!

How on earth are you supposed to remember all those stats,figures,pinouts,socket types,speeds and so on,then apply certain ones to certain processors?

The answer is......you will,eventually and I think you should.Keep going back to the details and remember them a little at a time.Soon enough you will remember most,if not all of them.Try making up your own tables,this really does help when you're faced with so many details that you should remember.Whent the time comes to sit your exam you will be able to recall these details from memory,write them down before starting your test and come away with a pass.

The processor section of the book has a lot of facts and figures to commit to memory and believe me it doesn't go downhill from there.You will need to remember a lot more as you proceed through your A+.

That said -don't let it phase you-take your time to understand each concept and use your own tables to help them sink in.If you're stuck,just ask,I have-plenty of times and I've always got the answers from the forums in CF.. 8)

Now,deep breaths,count to ten,throw the cat out and study well... :biggrin

Certifications: A+ Network+
  6. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Thanks for all the advice guys!!

I can understand hbroomhall how you say some of the answers can be worked out by the progression of the chips, so you can eliminate answers.

I think my plan will be to keep reading the book till the end without spending hours memorising the figures, and hopefully by then i will have memorised a few anyway. And then as exam revision before the end i can make up some tables to learn.

If i stopped to learn all of the numbers id be taking years to do this thing!

Also out of interest, how did you guys go about learning from the book? When i did alevels/gcses etc i always made notes as i read, but it would take ages to do that with this book! Im just reading it really, definetly making sure i dont go past anything i dont understand, but just reading it. Also i guess its slightly easier as its multiple choice

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?