external tv capture card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mallet, Sep 6, 2007.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I am currently looking out for a external USB TV capture card that will be used for my video games website project :)
    The only problem is, I dont have a PC but a Laptop and I cant buy a PC because I have no space to put it yet :(

The tv capture usb will be used to capture images and movies from external devices like a PS2.

It probably have to be a USB external TV card because its a laptop.

I did find two external tv capture devices:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=117468&ShowTab=5#SimilarProducts

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/video/Avermedia/AverTV_MCE/p4.htm

I am really new to this and haven't a clue which one I should get and what I should I be looking out for in terms of specs wise and whether the quality of the movies will look good.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First - and most important - does your laptop support USB2?

Without that you won't get any sort of quality stuff at all.

The second link is for an American unit. This won't work in the UK - you will need to check if a PALTV version exists.

The quality you get will depend on just how close to the standard the signals you feed it are, as well as the capture unit itself.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

yep it supports usb 2.0

The one thats on that link is somewhat old model from what I been told by aver uk.
    They gave me this link instead:
    http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php?xProd=102650

its a shrink down version of that AVerTV USB MCE.
    Iam really surprised its got all the inputs on the side of the usb :blink

-Mallet

4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Mallet,

I'd recommend going for the Pinnacle PCTV Analog Pro USb device if you don't need to capture digital sources. Its one we recommend at work to our customers along with the PCI eqivalent card.

Also look at some of the Hauppage devices that are available as these tend to be reliable.

The Pinnacle one is easy to use and setup and is a nice device with Composite, S-video, Audio in, and anntenna. I've "borrowed" the works unit for home and copied most of my vids to dvd using it.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi.../PCTV+Analog+PVR+(cable_antenna)/PCTV+Pro+USB

(when i say our customers i mean profesional broadcasters like BBC, ITV and foriegn TV Broadcasters, so it must be ok!)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

thanks for that trizzle.

However, Iam abit concern that its missing the red and white ports on the pinnacle one. what were those ports used for agian? as it could mean quality lost.

But I agree that the pinnacle software will be easy to use.
    Do you know if I can insert a little logo on the bottom corner of the movies when I capture it to show that the file came from my site from the pinnacle software?

-mallet

EDIT:
    took your advice and found a Hauppauge:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-WinTV-Personal-Video-Recorder/dp/B0000CGUY7

Just waiting for the last piece of the puzzle if I can do that stupid thing with the logo.

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The red and white phono sockets will be for right and left audio. The Pinnacle appears to use a 3.5mm stereo jack for the same purpose.

You can place overlays such as a logo in many video editing packages.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Harrys spot on on both accounts.

The pinnacle device will need a phone to 3.5mm jack adapter for stereo sound. The red and white RCA plugs (phono) plug into the adapter going to a 3.5mm stereo jack plug.

If you get a really decent video editing software, you can insert logos and graphics onto your movies as well as add fades, croos-cuts and other special effects. (BTW one of the devices we sell allows the input of a graphic over the video, such as seen on most channels on SKY or Freeview, but thats afew grand!)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

awesome, thanks guys for the infomation. much apperciated :thumbleft

9. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I managed to get a wintv pvr USB 2 quite cheap on ebay.
    However, its only got one problem. theres a 3-4 seconds delay in the picture. A good Example is I hooked my PS2 into the wintv and if I were to press left it, would take 4 sec to appear on the capture device.

Whats odd is I used the VLC media player capture option and is quicker by 1 and half seconds. a great inprovment.

Does all capture devices do this? Or can I use alternative software to record onto the capture device?

-Mallet