extension cables question

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, May 8, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I need 2 extension cables one for my room where my computer is and one where the phone line is

As I am getting a wireless router the place where the phone is and table light only has a two plugged extension cable so I need one that holds 3 (standard is 4)

The one for for my room I need one for the monitor printer and computer so 4 way again

Do I need a surge protector extension lead or will a normal one do?

Can anyone tell me what the standard wattage a normal extension cable will take and what a surge protected one will take?

Thanks

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Mate, don't stress, just go and buy one or two that you can afford. Home computer equipment does not use great amounts of power, the things that do and you should be careful about in extensions are heating devices, electric fires, kettles, irons etc.

The surge protector ones just have a choke inside them which helps to remove some of the transient spikes on the mains, really they are not a lot of use IMO because the power supply will also do the same job. However, if it makes you feel safer, by all means purchase one or two of those.

The best solution is a cheap UPS, as these really do give you protection from mains fluctuations, brown out and even power cuts.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. greenbrucelee

Cheers mate:)

I was thinking about getting a UPS as they are pretty cheap and I knew they would do a similar job but are better when there are blackouts I was just a bit concerned that the psu in my computer which arrives this week (hopefully) is 700w so I was thinking would a normal extension cable be ok for this.

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes mate, that 700Watt is the maximum power it can *supply* not the actual power it dissipates and your entire PC is unlikely to get near that figure during operation.

The best test is to try it and see, the first sign that something in the mains plugs/leads/extensions is overloaded is heat - so, if anything is getting really hot, somethings not right :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. greenbrucelee

cheers mate I will do that:D

6. sparkyelectric

sparkyelectric New Member

you can use a normal extension cable, but from expierence i only use surge protected. especially for computer's or electrical items your gonna have high power running through them all the time. If sone thing trips out of all the items on the extension without a surge protection it can cause more problems than you need. surge costs a few quid more, but its better protection.

7. greenbrucelee

cheers sparky I have learned that since I posted this.

If you notice this post was was done months ago but thanks anyway. 8)

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

So you've not electrocuted yourself or blown up your PC then? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009