Extended partion problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jobbo, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Jobbo

Jobbo Bit Poster

Hi all,hope this question is in the right forum!
    Last night I thought I'd have a go at creating an extended partition to my primary one,I used diakpart from a cmd line'after doing this i then looked in disk management expecting to see the newly created partition but nothing was there! I then went on to install a broadband modem to the same computer,all the software installed correctly but no trace of the modem could be found,looking in device manager i was suprised to see that this was empty:eek: I contacted my b/band supplier who was at a loss as to what could have happened,until I mentioned the extended par tition, to which he blamed everything on! I'm now trying to find out how to delete the logical drives on said partition before I can delete the partition itself.
    I'm running xp pro and any help would be gratefully appreciated.
    Hope this all makes sense,

many thanks

Gary (jobbo)

WIP: A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

OK - to start dealing with this we need to know which version of Windows!

With the NT descended OSes (Win2k, XP etc) you use Disk Management. With Win9x you use FDISK.

In both cases you need some spare space to create the partitions. In neither case will the built-in apps *create* space - this needs to be done by other tools.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Jobbo

Jobbo Bit Poster

Hi thanks for the reply, I'm running xp pro, I started the "partition" by using windows help and following the instructions for partitioning using cmd,the order was as follows:-
    1) diskpart
    2) disk list
    3) create partition extended (disk0 & size500MB)
    as far as I can remember that was it,after this i went looking for the new partition in admin tools & disk management, it was after speaking to the broadband tech that I was told that an extended partition would not show up.
    Hope this helps

regards

Gary

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Can you see the drive in Disk management?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

you can boot from a Win98SE floppy startup disk and use FDISK, but thats just me and personal preference.
    Make sure you have the space to create an extended partition and then set the logical drives and format as required.

In XP using Disk Management, the logical drives are displayed within the extended partition and are the ones that you assign a letter to; eg D:\ or H:\ etc

6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Can you go into disk management and post the results about the disk there?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. Jobbo

Jobbo Bit Poster

Many thanks for your time people,
    In disk management the top half of the screen shows only 1 partition as follows:-
    Vol: (c) Layout: partition Type: basic NTFS status: healthy(system) 92% free fault tol: No Overhead: 0%

Bottom half shows: (a) Disk 0 (C) (b) cd-rom (E)
    & (c) cd-rom DVD (D)

Techs advise was to format the whole drive and start again from scratch,as appealing as this sounds at this point in time I really don't want to do this!:ohmy
    Reading what books I have ,it seems I need to delete the logical volumes on the extended partition before I can delete the partition itself, this is all very well if I could see the extended partition in the first place. they also reckon that the "partition" I made has swallowed up the device manager aswell as this is why it is now empty when I try to view it!:(

Hope this helps

regards again

Gary

8. Raffaz

Ok, so the reason you cant create an extended partition is because you dont appear to have any free space to create it. All the drive is taken up by your system partition. You would need to use a program like partition magic to shrink the partition (dont think XP allows you to shrink the size) , and then create the extended partition in the free space. You would then be able to create the extra partition.

9. Jobbo

Jobbo Bit Poster

Thanks Raffaz,I think I get the picture,so it looks like I never created a partition in the first place!
    I'll follow your advise regarding partition magic.I don't suppose you've any ideas to why I can't view any items in device manager, or is it worth another separate post?

many thanks

Gary

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You cant view any items in device manager?? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Raffaz

I would suggest trying "chkdsk /r" from run (windows key + R), to check for disk errors, that might sort the control panel out, worth a try. You could also use the system file checker from the command prompt, you need your xp disc for this aswell tho. To do that type "sfc /scannow" at run aswell. Both minus the " "

12. hbroomhall

As far as I can tell you *are* seeing the info in Disk Manager. What makes you think you aren't?
    (I am assuming you meant *disk* manager rather than *device* manager!)

Harry.

13. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Nope, he means device manager.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  14. hbroomhall

Er - the post I was looking at had
    in it. Hence my confusion!

Looking back - if the 'modem' was in fact a router/modem then there won't be any entry in Device Manager. But DM should show other devices!

Harry.

15. Jobbo

Jobbo Bit Poster

Hi people,
    Grateful thanks for all your help & suggestions, I've come to the conclusion that my attempted extended partition didn't work, which I'm quite happy about,regarding device manager showing no items I googled the problem and came up with the following possible causes and solutions.
    Booting the pc in safe mode I can now see the device manager in all its glory! On the site I looked at it seems disappearing device manager is not uncommon and people who had it also suffered loss of network connections and computer slow down, the general concensus was that it was due to an update that was downloaded ref: KB905749 although those that tried to delete it found that it could not be removed, and for those that could remove it, only a few found that it cured the problem.
    Another and what sounds (according to the site) a more feasible cause was a piece of spyware labeled Apropos,again those that downloaded and used the AproposFix.exe said that it did work,so I'm gonna give that a go!
    If anyones interested I've posted a link to the site below and once again thanks for your help and interest with this matter.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/1881086473/p/2

kind regards

Gary (jobbo):peace