extend a console cable

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by m1979, Nov 20, 2010.

1. m1979

m1979 Bit Poster

I have a router that is in the other side of the room and want to use my console cable (rj45-> com) to connect to it, but it is too short.

I was thinking of using a network socket to do it... any experience with that?

2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

not sure what you mean by network socket but using a home plug will get around the issue. I use them and they are fantastic. A pair can be picked up for around £50.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. m1979

m1979 Bit Poster

What I mean is:

I have a cisco console cable, like this:
    [​IMG]

I connect it to my COM port in my laptop. On the wall I want to put a network socket with two modules:

[​IMG]

And wire these modules with cat5e cable and on the other end put rj45 head with the same order of the wires

My questions is: how should I wire these modules? In this cisco console cable when I look at rj45 they use different colours than are in cat5e, but rollover means it must go like this 1,2,3....8 or 8,7,6....1

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The colours are irrelevant really, electricity is colour blind :)

all you want to do is extent the cable, so therefore, pin 1 goes to pin 1 and pin 2 to pin 2 etc.

this is not a situation where any cross over is needed.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

:oops: should of kept off the wine last night. Just read your post again when my brain is working. Sorry mate thought you were talking about wiring a games console up to a router (Why I thought that I don't know since you posted it in the Cisco section???). Should work fine mate. My suggestion should also work.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011