Experienced but no certs

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Kopite, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Kopite

Kopite New Member

Hi everyone, just found this forum and it looks like exactly what I've been looking for - a place to come and share information, have a laugh and hopefully get some help on my way to gaining some certs.

First, i suppose I should give you some info about me. I'm 27 and have 8 years experience within the IT sector. I have 7 years experience as a 1st line local support - supporting desktops, servers, networks, software etc in a large corporate environment. I then moved on to a 2nd line support role for servers - mainly Windows 2000 and Novell. I did this for 6 months and then just as I was learning loads, the role got outsourced! I am now working as a 2nd line support analyst, working on a public sector account supporting business specific software operating on an SQL 2000 platform.

I dont particularly enjoy doing this (as the software is very specific to the account) and want to go back to working within a server / network environment - specifically Windows Server and Exchange Server. However it appears most jobs that i have looked at require at least 1 MCP, so that is what i am aiming to achieve with a long term goal of the MCSE (although that will be a few years down the line).

I havent done any certifications before although I have studied for an open university course so i am used to self study. I know most of you advise to do the A+ and N+ first but to be honest I want to get stuck into an MCP - more specifically the 70-290.

I have a couple of spare PC's, 1 of which i was hoping to install Windows Server 2003 onto. However i am now looking at using VMware. My PC's spec is as follows:
    AMD Athlon 3200+
    1GB RAM
    160GB HDD
    256MB Graphics Card

Will this be sufficient to run VMware or am I better off installing the OS direct? Also I would be graetful for any other help / advice / encouragement you could give me at the start of this long journey! :D

TIA.

2. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello & Welcome,

As you say most of us recommend the A+ & N+ to get the grounding and understanding needed to progress, but with 7 years IT experience 1st & 2nd line I cant see a problem with going straight for the MCP if thats what you want.

Worth thinking about the self study method, much cheaper in the long run but it doesn't suit everyone, but as you say your comfortable with it so go for it...

nothing stopping you doing the MCP & A+ :eek:

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF, if you insist on starting with the MCP route it's best to start with the OS i.e. the 070-270 XP professional exam and then move onto the Server exam 70-290 etc. The reason being that there is a high overlap with the both exams above hence making the next learning transition a smooth one.

Utimately, the choice is yours and best wishes on which ever one you decide to tackle first:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

are you the same kopite from lethal hardware ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. Kopite

Kopite New Member

No sorry m8, just another Liverpool fan 8)

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Like Onoski recommends, it's a good idea to start off with the workstation OS exam (XP is 70-270) before taking the server OS exam (70-290).

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Kopite

Kopite New Member

Thanx for all your advice guys. Will look in to the OS exam first! Cheers.

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009