Experience ?!?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by baileyphil, Oct 4, 2005.

1. baileyphil

baileyphil New Member

Hi Guys

First post here but been reading for a while now, was just wondering what your thoughts are about experience, ive currently got A+ and N+ and am doing my first MCP (70-720) i also currently work as a desktop support assistant for a major uk company

I was wondering after having 6 months experience in my position and having my qualifications am i now in a position to look for a better position, what is the kinda level of experience managers are looking at?

Thanks guys your thoughts are greatly appreciated

P :oops:

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: MCSA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

firstly welcome to CF!!

im 20 and before my current job i had about 6 months too experience looking at what you covered and doing now i would say your job is okay.. what im doing too is the mcsa then mcse with security.. eventually this time next year ill have 1 1/2 experience then maybe start looking at network admin.. my current company have a trend of throwing techies into support and troubleshooting (A+) for a bit then things like network support and admin (MCSE) come much later.... i hope my situation helps clear somethings and feel free to ask questions! :biggrin

EDIT:: BTW you might want to read this:
    Click Here

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The more experience, the better.

You seem to be heading in the right direction with your certs and experience, and you may be able to try to move into 2nd level support within your existing company?

If you can't stay within your company, then I'd say that you would be hold the right certs to beign looking at 2nd level support jobs, or junior network admin roles. The sort of jobs where you would be doing mainly desktop support, but performing basic tasks on servers.

One area of concern I would have about you looking for a new position though would be that you have only been doing your current job for six months.

This could be ok if you were looking for an internal promotion, but to external employers it doesn't always look good, and they will ask themselves 'why is this person wanting to leave?'.

Try to get your XP exam out of the way with, and then look to progress further.

8)

4. baileyphil

baileyphil New Member

Thanks guys for your replies, what you have said is kinda what i was thinking, im looking at more experience were i currently am as im doing server stuff (backups,Webserver etc) and enjoying it, just wanted a little feeler really to what the IT industry expected and were about is the mark to start looking at the more demanding jobs as i want to be a IT Manager some day

Thanks all :biggrin

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Phil,

I am not currently employed in the IT field so can only offer you my personal view.
    You have two good certs behind you and employment which will be more knowledge and more fruitful :D
    I would trust your instincts. If you feel ready to apply for jobs that people do in your firm that you know you can do go for it.
    Personally, i would wait until you get the magic year or eighteen months experience that "everyone advertises" but that is just my view.
    Hope it works out for you. Let us know how you get on/decide.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. baileyphil

baileyphil New Member

Thanks Boyce

Yer i agree with you, i guess its how you feel doing this sort of stuff, i think i was more looking for a answer of what is the magical mark of experience rather then career advice

As you say that 1yr - 18 month mark seems to be the one, once thats under your belt i wouldnt say a load of cert would make that much of a difference, im looking at MCSA and 12 months experience and then see what the day brings

Anyone dissagree :(

Thanks everyone

Phil