Exchange sync

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Jun 7, 2006.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I have a new member of the company here who still has an exchange account with his old company. The problem he has is that the account will not connect. He called the admin from the company and was told that if he could syncronise the .ost file or convert it to a .pst file then maybe it would work. I know nothing about exchange but I don't want to screw up his files and cause him to lose everything.

Can anyone advise me as to what I might need to do?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

well, to make sure his mail objects (email, notes, contacts) are safe, you can quickly do a pst dump:

in outlook go to file > select import and export > select export to a file > select personal folder file (pst) > select the root folder and select include subfolders > define a location and select allow duplicates to be created > next and ok.

as for the connection problem, i don't really understand. what do you mean with the old and the new company? are these in any way related, and are the networks linked?

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks d. To tell the truth I'm not really sure what he wants or means as he couldn't really explain it too well. I'll grab hold of him tomorrow and try to get more info from him.

The guy used to work for the other company and now works for us he also does some consulting for them.
    He said he couldn't connect but I think if he was told (by the other company's admin) to try to convert it to a pst file it's more likely that he's been cut out of their network. I guess that he needs all the info (mostly his 5000+ contacts) and because he can't access the exchange server anymore he can't access the info.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685