Exchange stores

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I have a quick question. Is it possible to have multiple exchange stores in exchange 2010? We current have one Storage group and 3 Mailbox store groups beneath (on Exchange 2003). Speaking to some consultants we got mixed results... some say yes others say no...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not done a Exchange 2010 migration yet but is it not best to have one mailbox store per storage group?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That's what I am trying to figure out... the way we have it setup now is we have one storage group with 3 mailbox stores within that storage group. We have about 400 mailboxes within all three mailbox stores, so with the migratioin to 2010 I am trying to device if I do the same or not... one of the things I want to take advantage of as well is Single instance Storage... I was thinking of having one Storage Group with one Mailbox store that contains all the mailboxes which is 400.

Based on the amount of mailboxes we have, do you think it's a good approach?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. Sparky

SIS appears to have been ditched mate.

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2010/02/22/454051.aspx

I don’t think you want to put all the mailboxes in one mailbox store. Let’s say there is a problem later on and you need to run ESEUTIL or something else, it can take an age to run if it’s just one big DB.

Also what if you need to restore the mailbox DB, again this can take time.

I would suggest spitting up the mailboxes. You may want to have one mailbox DB that has bigger mailboxes for management and the other having a standard sized mailbox. This is just a suggestion but it’s something I do for 100+ mailbox migrations as mailbox sizes need to be controlled.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Also in case you will want to use Mailbox recovery in DPM 2010, keep in mind that DPM needs to restore whole database to be able to get the mailbox out, so again, lenghty process.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. Sparky

Yeah, you can just use Backup Exec though. Restore to the live mailbox and the user even gets an email to say the email has been restored, nice! :biggrin

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

We're still an E2K3 shop. I've got two Storage Groups, with four DBs on each. That way, I can spread the load, any corruption should only affect a small subset of users and I can run different policies per store - dependent on corporate requirements (mailbox size, deleted item retention period etc). Since we're on a SAN, I can also chuck SGs on different LUNs, depending on the need to keep peak performance for VIPs.

Sparky - I've never heard any decent reason why you shouldn't run more than one store per SG - though I've sometimes heard people say they don't do this (and, of course, would never dreeeeam of doing so) without explaining it. If you have a link to anything at YouHadMeAtEHLO or somewhere similar which gives a definitive reason for this I'd love to read up on it :biggrin

PS: Prof - there's no such thing as the old 'SG - DB' architecture in 2010. It's been replaced by 'mailbox databases' - I believe this was to remove the reliability on the 'Server' object in Exchange (but could be wrong - it's aeons since I did anything on E2K10 (it was still in beta when I faffed around with it) since we're not looking at migrating away from 2003 any time soon.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I completely agree with you 100% about keeping all mailboxes in one mailbox store... This should definitely be split up!

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks Luke, I'll keep that in mind... I don't think I'll be using DPM any time soon as I just setup offsite backups! :biggrin

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks for the input Zeb!

I'll say one thing, today I've learned more about exchange 2003 then I did in my 4 years here. I feel pretty comfortable with it now and here's what myself and my colleague found.

We've been having serious DB issues over the last week, hence my other post about DB maintenance... this is most likely due to DB corruptions that could be do to size or maybe other factors, but mostly I am guessing it has to do with size. Having 1 400gb DB for one of the stores is not a great way of managing, fortunately that's going to change soon.

We've created 4 more mailbox stores to add to the three we've already had to make a total of 7 mailbox stores. Tonight I will begin to move all the mailboxes from our 400GB DB which is store 1 to the other 4 mailboxes stores we've created. Once done, we'll delete the current problematic DB.

This is also done in preparation to the migration of Exchange 2010.

I am no Exchange expert so we'll have a consultant helping us out with the migration but that will be some serious project.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys! always appreciated!

11. Sparky

I have to hold my hands up and say I don’t have any technical reason to do that kinda config. I started doing this years ago when I was working with an Exchange admin migrating to Exchange 2003. This was the way he was going to set things up and I've been doing things the same way ever since.

Perhaps time for a rethink… 8)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  12. Sparky

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6089015.html

meh! :biggrin

Need to check to see if this is still the same in Exchange 2007/2010 though.

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Let me ask you a few quick questions - before you go to the pain of dismounting the stores and defragging them.

First up, is your online maintenance window set during the same time as your backup? In other words, are you running Backup Exec\Legato\whatever you use for backup during the times Exchange is running it's online defrag & cleanup? Check this out - it will slow your backup down brutally, crush your disks and stop online maint from completing - which leads to serious Exchange perf issues over time if the situation persists.

Secondly - check to see the amount of whitespace you have in your store. A large amount can cause significant issues, since the engine has to do a lot more work to process messages.

Thirdly - do you have a journalling mailbox or something similar set up? Have you ever used pfdavadmin to get a count of the folders in your user mailboxes? A user with a system folder with an enormous amount of mail can also end up killing Exchange performance over time. I consulted for a law firm once a while back - they had a mailbox on it's own separate database that kept copies of all correspondence received from clients - no-one ever looked at it - and I mean EVER - and when I ran pfdavadmin against it, it had 130,000-odd messages in the inbox. Archived that sucker off and hey presto - instant Exchange performance boost.

No charge for this, BTW - if you call an Exchange consultant in they'll charge you a day's consulting rate for these little nuggets :biggrin

PS: One more thing - be careful when getting rid of the initial (i.e. Exchange-created) storage group - you'll need to perform a very specific procedure when moving the System Attendant mailbox. It involves faffing around with ADSIEdit - not a problem if you have experience using it, but not for the faint-hearted if you don't!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

1. We did have the issue initially with online maintenance and backups coinciding and we changed that right away.

2. Will do... but if we do have a large amount of white space, I would still need to do a ESEUTIL on it, no? to get rid of white space...

3. I believe this is our main problem... we have some users with thousands of mail items and I know for a fact that this is part of the reason what's slowing down our exchange server, we're working on a way to eliminate that. Put it this way, office politics doesn't make it as easy as just archiving to a PST file... I wish it was!

4. I will definitely pay close attention... but I also noticed that each mailbox store creates it's own system attendant mailbox, which btw I am not touching when moving mailboxes from the first mailbox store.