Problem exchange routing groups not working!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mikeyboy, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

dunno whether this is better suited under a different section, but anyway...

trying to set up the ability to block sending to certain domains in exchange 2003.

from reading dozens of web pages, I set up a main routing group, using dns to route, address space of *, and cost of 2... I then set up a second routing group, address space of hotmail.co.uk (as a test), cost of 1, and set delivery options to reject messages from everyone. this was how I believed was the correct way to do it, yet does not seemed to have worked. I made the registry change to allow checking for restrictions, restarted routing engine and smtp services, even restarted server, still no sign of it working... someone said it started working for them after the nightly exchange maintenance, so I've started this off, and will try again later to see if it has worked... but what else do I need to do to make it work? is the reject all messages setting incorrect?

welcome any help!

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is this any help mate?

The Hidden Power of Sender and Recipient Filtering

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

'fraid not... pretty sure that applies to incoming mail only... which I set up before and works fine, but to block outgoing mail to certain domains, I think I need to use a connector - have set one up but seems when sending mail to whichever domain is included, it just ignores this and moves on to the regular connector.... thanks for the suggestion though!

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ahh, my mistake. Been a while I since I have worked on Exchange 2003.

Can you get access to DNS on your network? You could setup a DNS zone for hotmail.com and make the MX records resolve to a IP that does not exist. The email should queue and then bounce back. Not a graceful solution but it should work.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs