Exchange and mailbox disconnected

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leehaa, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hello, this is one that's resolved, but i'm curious about.

Anybody ever had it where, someone's suddenly 'unable to contact the exchange server' despite still being connected to the network and still being able to ping exchange?
    The fix for this was to go into the exchange system manager/servers/mailbox store/mailboxes...and then re-connect the mailbox in question.

Why would that happen though? Mailbox is fine in size (in fact quite small and only created about 3 mths ago) and there weren't any large emails in outbox or anything like that.

If anyone could shed some light it would be much appreciated as always :)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. andy-d

andy-d Bit Poster

We quite often get random problems like this with no apparent cause. The easiest solution we have found is to simply re-create the Outlook profile (which i guess is pretty much the same thing as what you did - re-connect the mailbox). I probably get around.. 20 - 25 calls a week along these lines. We've never been able to pinpoint a particular cause for any of the problems either!

WIP: A+
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Andy - yes, re-connected in Exchange then went back to the outlook profile and it was still frozen, so removed/re-added account via control panel/mail on local PC (which probably means that I needn't have done the bit on exchange).

just odd that there seems to be no reason for the disconnection.

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

First thing to check is whether the connection is made via a VPN. if so, then you may need to look at the MTU sizes on your firewalls/routers as there are known issues with Exchange and MTU sizes.

Then, you might look into using ExMon - a tool provided to end users by the Exchange development team. Once you work through its foibles (there are a few!) you'll find the output very useful for monitoring load on your Exchange servers, identifying connection methods, client types etc. One of things you may be able to detect is whether specific clients making MAPI connections to Exchange are experiencing things like latency issues - which may indicate that there is a specific problem wither with the workstation build, profile or something like that.

You Had Me At EHLO has some awesome articles about troubleshooting Exchange connection issues.

All of that said, I reckon about 90% of issues with connection to Exchange being lost are client-side and usually Outlook - especially Cached Exchange Mode - related problems

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for that Zeb. Really helpful!

This particular account was configured with cached Exchange Mode and there was no VPN connection.