Exchange and external mail server problem

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by LukeP, Nov 18, 2009.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hi

Not really sure how to explain it but I tried to google the answer and a solution with no joy. I've got SBS 2003 running in one of the branches with Exchange being responsible for pulling off emails from external mail server (POP3) and distributing them among the users (though MS Outlook). I've got 2 sales reps which work around the country and I've created 2 email accounts for them on the mail server which they can access using webmail service. Those 2 accounts are not being pulled off by exchange and sales reps have no access to the network nor AD accounts.

Now my problem is that they get emails from everywhere apart from the office that runs exchange. When an office worker sends an email to one of the sales reps he gets message back that mailbox can not be found (5.1.1 error). This obviously happens because exchange tries to match all email addresses in domain (company.co.uk for example) to local mailboxes, and because they don't have local mailboxes (neither we want them to have them), it throws back an 5.1.1 error saying that mailbox can't be found.

I know I could tell them to use their private accounts and create mailboxes on exchange server that would redirect emails to their private accounts. Is there a way to make exchange to work as it is but when the mailbox is not found pass the email on to the external server so the message actually gets there and sits there until it's deleted through webmail interface or downloaded and deleted (POP3, IMAP).

I hope it's clear what I'm trying to do, if not let me know and I will try to explain it further.

Any help would be appreciated

EDIT: I think I could also configure clients to use Exchange to download emails but send them directly to the mail server (SMTP), but that's not what I want

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Not sure how you would do what you want but why not just create the accounts in AD and pull the emails like everyone else, then give them access over OWA or exchange anywhere.

added
    I just spotted thie bit

Is there a reason for this? CALs or something.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Why not just create an Exchange Mailbox and give them access via OWA or OMA?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Mainly because SBS sits in the middle of nowhere on BT broadband with not all that great upstream speed.
    There are also 10MB+ attachments involved (CAD files) and I want to move as much traffic away from that SBS as I can.

5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Not getting what you mean, if you are using POP3, SMTP still has to upload the files mate.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Well no one is uploading anything manually but transfer still takes time.
    Users involved are remote to SBS which means that when using OWA and trying to download file to their laptop/workstation they will be limited to SBS upload speed regardless of them being on 20Mbit connection.

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I'm really not getting what you are trying to achieve.

Why does anything need to be done on SBS for these Remote Users?

Why do they have to use POP, why not SMTP?

You have already stated they have no requirement for access to Domain Resources so why not just create a mailbox at your main site on your Exchange Server?

They can then access this on OWA.

8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I see what you mean now.
    This SBS is not part of our network. Company involved is our business partner and I only want to help them out, hence why I'd like to keep it between their Exchange server and their Web Hosting provider.
    So the only OWA I would have available for them to use would be on SBS. I'd like to use ISP's web mail facility instead.

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

OK, what about the following:

- Create a Disabled Mailbox on your Exchange Server (note disabled)
    - Create a Contact for the Remote Users in your Active Directory that is the email address of the POP account you want emails to be forwarded to.
    - Forward all emails from the Disabled Mailbox to the Contact

In doing this the Remote Users could have a fake email address in your organisation that really is just an email relay and the physical account is disabled.

Does that work?

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I *think* I get what the problem is here. Basically when you try and send an email internally to the two sales reps because they don’t have mailboxes on the Exchange server then Exchange throws them back. However if an external email is received it goes to hosted server first and basically stays there until the sales rep downloads it via POP3 or whatever.

Is that right? :blink

As you are sharing your SMTP address over two mail systems which will need some additional configuration to route mail correctly. This is common when migrating various mail platforms to Exchange Server.

There is a good article here:
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-SMTP-Namespace-Sharing.html

I would guess you have “This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address" in the SMTP address settings which it is apart from the two sales mailboxes.

The link above should help mate (I think!) :biggrin

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

That's exacly what it was Sparky. Thanks a lot for that. Rep given.

2 parts of the article you've linked applied to me:
    "SMTP Domains that are shared between your Exchange Organization and another SMTP System"
    "Message Flow"

I followed the steps described there and it works now. Thanks again Sparky.
    Also thanks craigie for trying to help, much appreciated

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate, glad its sorted. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs