Exchange 2010 question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am in the middle of setting up Exchange 2010 in my lab and after reading the prereq's on the MS site I've understood the following. If I run setup /PrepareSchema it prepares AD for communication with legacy systems such as Exchange 2003 given you have it installed on the same domain. If I run setup /PrepareAD right after it would create errors with certain user attributes. However I noticed that after running setup /PrepareSchema the installation wizard still does the AD prep work which mentioned on the MS site not to do.

Am I missing something here?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Setup.com /PrepareLegacyExchangePermissions - This configures AD so Recipient Update Service and E-Mail Address Policies can exist in same AD

Setup.com /PrepareSchema - Upgrade AD with Exchange 2010 extensions

Setup.com /PrepareAD - Upgrades Exchange organization stored in First Administrative Group in AD (if upgrading from 2003) and will create Exchange Administrative Group (EXCHANGE12ROCKS) where all Exchange config is stored.

You need them all (PrepareLegacyExchangePermissions only if upgrading)

HTH

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I see, but doesn't setup.com /PrepareSchema sets up the PrepareLegacyExchangePermissions anyway? I believe you can do the PrepareSchema in two steps or one step by running PrepareSchema?

source http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125224.aspx

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Yes.

Setup /PrepareAD will run /PrepareLegacyExchangePersmissions and /PrepareSchema if they haven't been perfmormed already (and the user running /PrepareAD has required permissions).

The whole point of 3 different commands that have to be run is that so you can perform the tasks with minimal required permissions as well as troubleshoot, test and diagnose each step separately.

Source: your link :biggrin

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

LOL that's what I figured ;) Thanks mate!