Exchange 2007

Discussion in 'Software' started by BrizoH, May 31, 2007.

1. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Is anyone running Exchange 2007 yet?

I'm just beginning to look into migrating my company from it's current hosted Exchange/Blackerry service to an internally managed service, and would appreciate any feedback on my design.

We have approx 80 users, but I'd like to design a solution that will scale to at least around 250 to allow for growth over the next 2-3 years.

We have 3 offices in separate locations (Single AD domain with 3 sites) all connected via VPN over 2Mb circuits.

Ideally I'd like replicated servers in at least two locations to allow for any outages, but due to budget constraints that might not be possible at least initally.

Option 1 - Single Exchange Server at Site A

Single server running Exchange Enterprise (Hub Transport, Client Access and Mailbox roles) and Blackberry Enterprise Server
    Dell Poweredge 2950
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 5130 2Ghz 4MB Cache
    8Gb RAM
    OS Partition - 2 x 73Gb Hard Drived Raid 1
    Data Partition - 3 x 146Gb HDD Raid 5

Option 2 - Redundant Server (Budget permitting)

Option 1 plus Second Server (similar spec) at Site B running Exchange, Blackberry and either WANSyncHA or Neverfail for Blackberry and Exchange

I'm not fully up to speed yet with 2007, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brian

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Make sure you're running a 64-bit version of Windows Server 2003.

I'm not using Exchange '07, so I'm not well-qualified to spec out what's required. That said, it looks like the server you spec'ed out should handle it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sounds like a good spec to me too, we only just upgraded to 2k3 earlier this year, so won't be looking to upgrade for another 1 or 2 years. You may also want to do the Front-end/Back-end topology so that users can also access OWA, or do it via ISA. But again it always boils down to the budget. Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Meltin

Meltin Bit Poster

Your spec sounds more than adequate. As already mentioned I think microsoft are pushing towards the font end / back end configuration with the edge transport server. I have installed three exchange 2007 servers now and all have been single exchange servers with the hub transport role running the anti-spam roles that would normally run on the edge transport server. I think it look potentialy a good product but feels as though it was rushed out a bit with a few features missing. The management shell provides a fast way to make bulk changes to mailboxes etc. I think they are planning a few new features in Service pack 1. Let us know how you get on with it.

Certifications: A+, Network+,MCSA
    WIP: 70-297
  5. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ideally I would have the front/backend, but for now if I get the money I'd rather have redundancy (any Internet or server problems at our main site would mean no mail for anyone - and lots of grief for me)

Am I right in thinking that OWA can still be configured in a single server installation by opening the relevant firewall ports?

Meltin I had thought that I could only use the Antispam roles on the Edge Transport server - I was planning on pricing an outsourced solution like Mailsweeper. Does it work well on the single Exchange server?

6. valery

valery New Member

Can anyone suggest a load distribution software for MS SQL?

7. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

It doesn't do load balancing but we just came across a program called XLink that handles SQL replication and failover, much cheaper than the likes of XOSoft and Neverfail and does the basics just as well.

8. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

How many of your users have blackberries? RIM normally recommends that BES be installed on its own server. I have installed it on the mailbox server, but that is in small environments ex. < 25 users and only three with blackberries.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  9. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

The Exchange project has been put on hold for a bit, but I'm hoping to resurrect it in the next couple of months. We're looking at approx 25 blackberries currently.

I would like to have redundant servers, but doubt I'll get the budget for 4 servers to run Exchange and BES on individual servers with failovers. When I get time I might look into two physical servers and run Exchange and BES on each as virtual servers

10. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

BES with the attachment service running is very memory intensive, but if it is installed on a 64-bit system with a lot of memory, you may be able to get away with it. You would want to test it out first.

For redudancy look into the different spam services. Frontbridge (aka Microsoft Hosted Exchange) has an option where if you server goes down, the email will pull up at the frontbridge servers and the users can check it from there. This will only help with external email.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)