Exchange 2007: Management Shell

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Sparky, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Does anyone use this day to day for Exchange Server 2007 admin?

Im working through the 70-236 MS Press book and almost every page jumps between the GUI and Management Shell which is making it tough going. Ive decided to can the Management Shell until Ive covered everything else needed for the exam and then spend some time learning the command line features.

Anyways back to the original question, does anyone use the command line for Exchange Server admin? Im sure it will be useful for bulk commands, say if you have to create 100 mailboxes, however I dont see myself using it day to day which is making it even more difficult to remember the commands, arrrgh! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I think you have sort of answered your own question as the command line would be used less in comparison to the gui. On the other hand I would think the command line aspect would come in handy for migration rollouts etc.

Personally, I would opt for the gui if I were in the position to choice or do so and use the shell command for bulk exports in migration etc.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Sparky

Yeah, in an exam environment it would be difficult to test though. For any bulk import\export its generally a case of testing and then trying the script on the live domain, I wouldnt expect to just type it all in one go.

Only found one thread on the 70-236 here and it looks like the command line does feature heavily in the exam.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, I use Exchange 2007 all day and have not once used the CMD line.

It does some bizarre things, when I first started using it (about a month ago), I created a new Distribution Group called [email protected]

Anyways, I get a comment that they are recieving internal mails to it, but not external mails. Checked the settings and found that by default on a Distribution Group it requires authentication to send to it.

Whats that all about?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Sparky

Weird, I have seen that on Exchange 2003 when you can configure a distribution group to receive email only from internal accounts.

Anyways, once I get some work BS outta the way its back on with certs, kinda lost my way over the last few weeks.

6. Chriseast1

Chriseast1 Bit Poster

since moving jobs a few months ago I have not done any Exchange stuff at all. When 2007 first came out there were lots of things you could not do via a gui. Public folders spring to mind. I did the exam about 10 months ago and unless it has changed there was loads of power shell on there. I dont think you could pass the exam without knowing it.

Certifications: see signature
    WIP: MCSA next up 291
  7. Sparky

8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We're just waiting for Exchange 2010 ourselves :lol:

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Sparky

Yup, I have the feeling that we will miss out Exchange 2007 altogether apart from the SBS 2008 installs.

10. Kitkatninja

One thing I will miss, will be the simplicity of 2003 when we migrate. I'm not saying that Exchange 2003 was a simply bit of software, however compared to the newer versions it is...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  11. Sparky

Ok, I do talk crap. Had a call today to go and talk to a new customer about a full Exchange 2007 migration with around 500 mailboxes.

<reads MS Press book quickly> :study

12. Kitkatninja

Sods law :lol:

-Ken

13. Sparky

Tell me about it, slim chance we will get the contract as there are some big companies going for it but need to give it a shot anyways. 8)