Exchange 2007 and journaling to public folders

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Meltin, May 14, 2007.

1. Meltin

Meltin Bit Poster

Does anyone know if you can archive email to a public folder in Exchange 2007 in the way you can in Exchange 2003? I have managed to create public folders using the shell and set permissions from the shell and from outlook 2007 but I can only manage to get the journal to go to a mailbox as opposed to a public folder. The Customer wants senior partners to be able to view the journal with permissions and this is easier with a public folder as opposed to having to add additional mailboxes to their outlooks. Anyone tried this?

Many thanks

Certifications: A+, Network+,MCSA
    WIP: 70-297
  2. McMuffin

McMuffin Bit Poster

Yes, not only can you journal to mail-enabled public folders but you can also journal to a SharePoint site.

You will need to set a journal rule on the hub transport server. Set the journal e-mail address as the mail-enabled public folder.

Certifications: 2k3 MCSA:M,70-293,70-294,70-237,70-238
    WIP: 70-236,70-297,70-431,CCNA
  3. Meltin

Meltin Bit Poster

Unless I am being stupid, it only gives me the option to browse to a user mailbox. The option to enter an email address is greyed out only leaving the browse button which only displays user mailboxes.

Certifications: A+, Network+,MCSA
    WIP: 70-297
  4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

It might be wise to start thinking of the sharepoint solutions from Microsoft. Public folders will probably not be supported anymore in the next version of Exchange. The public folders in the hub transport server are just there as an intermediate. MS wants us towards sharepoint.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP