Exchange 2007 and Backup Exec

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Dec 3, 2007.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I was just wondering if anyone had a lot of experience with Symantec Backup Exec.

I've installed Backup Exec on the main server (DC) and want to install the remote agent on the second (exchange) server. I start Backup Exec, go to tools and choose 'install remote agents'. The wizard leads me through all the right steps to choose the right server etc. One thing I did notice is that I don't get the choice of what to install, either the remote agent for the windows server or the remote agent for the exchange server.

The problem that I have is the same as the other night. When I install the agent it (seems to) breaks something in exchange and screws up the connections to the domain. When the server has restarted and I start the exchange management console the scripts that run in the background to create the connections etc all pop up with error messages. The databases can't be found, all the mailboxes are missing and all the connector settings are gone.

Has anyone else had something similar happen?

All the information I find on the net deals with the BE agent having a problem after installing a hotfix for BE. The fix is to install "Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects package version 06.05.7888 or later", and also relates to the exchange agent already being installed and running.

When I run exactly the same process in my virtual environment, it all works as it should.:blink

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

could this not be something to do with installing Backup Exec on a DC?
    Call me devils advocate, but there is a reason your not supposed to install anything on a DC :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Not even some form of anti-virus software?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I know what you're saying Phoenix but I don't really have any other choice. We have one server as the DC, one for Exchange 2007 (also not recommended to install it on) and the file server is a SLES 10.

The original idea was to port the DC to a VM on the ESX setup (to be done) and then use the hardware as a dedicated server for backups. The plan changed and I was told that the DC would remain on the existing hardware and we would implement a backup DC as a VM.

I also need to get the backup setup finished before I can move onto the ESX server setup.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I have the same setup except I have a DC\Backup Exec and the remote agent is on 2k3 Exchange server.

Have you tried installing the Exchange Server tools on your PC and connecting to the Exchange server that way?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Not yet. I'm sort of in the middle of setting up a dedicated admin workstation but at the moment I just RDP to the servers as needed.

Do you think that I might need to try installing the agent locally instead of by the remote install?

7. Sparky

That could be an option although Ive always pushed the agent from the BackupExec software before.

If you try connecting from another PC that might help as it might just be an issue with the management console, also when you had the original problem was Exchange still working? Could you send emails ok?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It was before I pushed the remote agent to the exchange server, but not after (I think). I didn't get to check if it was actually sending and receiving. I just kind of freaked out a little when I opened the management console and up popped all the error messages from scripts not running. I also assumed that if it can't run the scripts to find the mailstore path then it wouldn't work anyway.

9. Sparky

Difficult to say, I had a similar problem with an Exchange 2003 box. Could not open open up ESM, got a crazy error message but worked fine from a PC. Reinstalled SP2 and then everything worked.

Have you ran live update from the Backup Exec server before pushing the agent out?

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I sure did mate. We have the latest version 7170 and all the hotfixes to date.

The funny thing is that when I tried all this in my virtual setup it all just worked (the first time). 2 days later I'm able to recreate some of the problems. After doing a lot of searching I've found very little, but 1 page points out that I need the Exchange tools (and therefore powershell), MMC 3.0, and also the MS Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects installed on the media server.

What really pisses me off is that there is no mention of this anywhere in the documentation (that I have at least) or on the net (and if it is it's very obscure).

I've since found a couple of hints on the Symantec knowledgebase here and here. This could be reason why the whole thing screws up. No MAPI client on the media server and needed dll's not registering correctly.

11. Sparky

Very complicated for something that was very easy when backing up Exchange 2003 with Backup Exec. Hopefully they will document this or revise the installer so you get a warning when pushing out the remote agent.

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Somehow I don't think anything will be done anytime soon.

13. Sparky

BackupExec 2008 then? :biggrin

14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Finally got it sorted and I didn't have to work till 1.30 am to do it.:biggrin

Now I can start to test out some backup plans over the christmas break.