Exchange 2003 DB Restore issue resolved!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Had an interesting morning today. Over the last few days I've been running an restore from an offsite source.. we didn't want to pay 450 for a USB device sent to us so I was told to just run the restore and let it download. 3.5 days later, 230GB exchange DB was restored. So I proceeded with the restore, created the recovery storage group, created and specified where the mail store database will go, etc and then when I went to mount the restored DB, all came crumbling down. Could not mount the database for the life me, no matter what I tried.

In the event logs, I saw errors stating that the restore I did was not a hard recovery restore, which it was btw, go figure. After fussing around managed to get it working using Aelita! When I setup Aelita and pointed it to the .edb and .stm files, it created the necessary logs and boom! all of a sudden I was able to mount the DB. Then used Exmerge to export the mailbox to a PST file and that was it. Looks like the transaction logs got buggered up somehow. When the initial restore occured, I only had one log file which I found kind of odd and the restore.env temp file persisted, from what I read, it's supposed be removed upon successful restore. I did a test restore of an 11GB database and got plenty of logs along with a successful mount.

Btw the mailbox was not 230GB, it was only 600MB, but I had to restore the who mail store for one mailbox.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good work mate.

Perhaps invest a more user friendly backup solution? For example in backup exec 12.5 you can restore a mailbox directly into the Exchange DB – that does save some time! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks!

But that would require mailbox level backups no? which would take a long time! :D

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, also just realised your mail store is 230GB! :eek:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

and that's just one of the mail stores... can't wait to go to exchange 2010 so that way we can get this under control! Doing restores with huge DB's like that is a nightmare!