Exchange 2003 and sending as

Discussion in 'Software' started by madman045, Feb 16, 2007.

1. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Currently have an issue with users having the ability to send as if they were someone else.

Now this happens to be on SBS 2003 and SBS 2003 R2

I have gone into AD, enabled show advanced features, gone onto the security tab of the user who wants to give the other user the ability to send as them, add the user and then tick the sending as box, applied it and then updated the domain policy in exchange, rebooted the users pc, gone into outlook, tried sending an email as the other person and it comes back with you do not have permission to send to this recipient.

Anyone got any ideas as this is two different servers with the same problem..

The users also have permission to their mailboxes which works fine as they have them added.

Andy

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cant remember exactly but I think you have to enable some permissions on the Exchange tabs for this to work.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. madman045

I can enable send on behalf as, which works fine, but its not the same thing as they don't want to show who was actually sending it.

I know what you were thinking though :)

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

As far as send as rights are concerned, you should only need to tick the 'send as' option in the security tab against the users name who will be sending the email, then wait for replication to the exchange system and it should be automatic - we dont advise our users to log out or anything, just wait 2 hours.

I suspect that they need to have mailbox access within the exchange settings tabs (we set full mailbox access) before this will work though. how have you applied the access to their mailbox?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Sparky

Yup, I think the user needs access to the mailbox before you can use the permissions tab.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. madman045

I have already added them to their mailbox and they have added their mailbox to their outlook and can view their email, calander etc...

Also send on behalf as works fine too, however send as just does not want to work...

7. Fergal1982

yeah, but how exactly did you grant mailbox access? theres a couple of methods, i want to be sure of the method you used.

Send on behalf doesnt actually require mailbox access i believe, as its an option in delegates that permits it.

also is it these two specific users that the issue is applying with? or anyone who tries send as?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  8. Sparky

Is there not two exchange tabs and then the security tab? Dont make me fire up my test server! :biggrin

9. Fergal1982

theres actually 4 exchange tabs in ad. exchange general, exchange advanced, email addresses, and one more i cant remember, but theres only one place in there that you use to grant mailbox access, but it can be done on the users profile too. just wanting to check

10. Sparky

Yeah, a couple of them relate to permissions though. I think the problem is that one of the mailbox permissions has not been enabled even though the user has 'send as' permissions.

11. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Go on you know want to :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. Sparky

hee hee! Might do later...