Excel 2007 problem!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by pengie, Apr 22, 2009.

1. pengie

pengie Bit Poster

Hi all,
    I have a problem and have no idea how to solve it...Everytime I try to insert a header/footer using excel 2007 a box pops up saying "current printer is unavailable, select another printer".
    I don't understand why this is happening as I'm not trying to print...I just was to insert a header.

Can anybody help me with this problem??

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i have an idea, but it depends on what you have tried so far

3. pengie

pengie Bit Poster

I haven't tried anything...every bit of help would be great!!

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Wow - looks like you've really done your homework on this before asking us to help out :rolleyes:

I don't think this is related to office. My guess is that you;re using Vista and have encountered Microsoft's (ahem) 'interesting' network printing in that f***-up of an excuse for an Operating System. the workaround for this is usually just to delete any networked printers you've got then fool Vista into thinking you;re using a local printer by installing a local printer then pointing it at the network device. I STILL run into this annoying **** every time I add a networked printer in the 'proper' way on Vista - so much so that now I just install a local printer on LPT1 and point it at the networked printer as a reflex.

Check out this article and see if it helps you.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I just tried to add a header\footer in Excel and it worked fine. I have several disconnected network printers and my local USB printer connected.

Is this problem only caused if you have added a printer through the 'add printer' wizard? I usually just type \\printerserver in the run line and then just connect to the printer I need from there.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Have you checked the Print Spooler on your local machine/server that the printers are on? We sometimes get an error message like that when the print spooler crashed.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Its so random that its one of those problems that I just can't be arsed to narrow down. It happens when I try to add a networked printer from the wizard, when I browse to a printer or via any other method. I've just stuck it in the big pile marked 'Vista is poo'. I've never had the issue with windows 7...

8. Sparky

Converted to Windows 7 already mate? :biggrin

I'm thinking about running a dual boot between XP and Windows 7 on my work laptop, I've finally given up on Vista after weeks of blue screens and now I can't seem to install any software whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Have been running it on my commuting laptop since the public beta was released. Haven't had a single problem with it yet (though I obviously wouldn't put it into production use).

Vista is, for my money, the worst O/S Microsoft have ever released. It's even worse than ME.

10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

NO!!!!!

Why?

11. Sparky

Ahh, good old Windows ME. I do remember having to use system restore almost every week with ME and also when the active desktop crashed for no obvious reason.

The thing is about Vista is that even users think its cr@p. Makes it a difficult product to sell! :biggrin

12. benswip

benswip Bit Poster

If I were you, I would use the excel installation cd to reinstall it first to see whether it get fixed.

Certifications: Comptia A+, Network+
    WIP: MCSA