Exams!!!

Discussion in 'A+' started by noelg24, Jun 21, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok guys I have finished the Hardware side of the A+ book and now starting the Software side...but one question...can I take the Hardware exam like now and get that out of the way and then finish the book to do the Software side later or would it be best to finish the book then take them both at the same time? I am sure I have asked this before but I cant remember.... :roll: any help or advice is welcomed by all :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, taking one first and taking the other one later is the most common method. Not too many people take both at once. This way, a test taker and focus all their resources on one side of the test then, once it's out of the way, they can "forget" about it and study the other side.

Having said all that, I took both at the same time. My school's program only taught the hardware side of the exam but thanks to the program, I got to know hardware pretty well. I was more intimidated by the OS side, especially DOS memory so I through myself full bore into studying for that side while just continuing to do hardware reviews.

I don't recall exactly but I think that you can take each side of the test within six-months of each other. That is, you could take hardware in July and have until January to take the OS side. I'd recommend taking them somewhat closer together, though. Of course, you won't be a certified A+ technician until you take and pass both. Passing only one part doesn't mean you're certified in anything (unlike MS tests where you can pass any single test and be a certified MCP but have to take the whole battery to be a MCSA or MCSE).

Hope that helps.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks trip...altho I am reading the OS side of it now...I may decide to take the Hardware exam pretty soon so at least that is out of the way. Im abit like u in that I know more about Hardware than the software but I still know my way around the software side of things so this book will help no doubt...

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'd go with you on this one, Waliu - if your in any doubt at all about either of the sections, sit them separately.

Thats how I did it, as I was still a bit green aroung the gills, and also it was my first ever IT Cert.

Good luck however you choose to do it.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I might as well take them seperately but the prices for these things are high!! Just one section is about 100 knicker :eek: surely they must have some sort of discount or something for those who dont get it paid for by their employers...I cant see my workplace paying for it...damn tight buggers!!! :evil:

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You might just want to call your testing center...excuse me..."centre", and see what they know about getting discount vouchers. I don't think you get a break if you take both at once but I do know that CompTIA does have discount vouchers for their exams. Couldn't hurt.

Certifications: A+ and Network+