exam time?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by lynamcool, Oct 12, 2009.

1. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

what time of the day would you recommend booking an exam?

what time of the day does everyone else like to sit their exams at?

only asking as im nearly ready to book 70-271 :D

just having a practice editing settings

thanks

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
    WIP: MCDST
  2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I book mine well before I'm ready... basically I set myself a date and study to that.. if all else fails, can always reschedule the exam.. btu kinda gives a kick up the arse to get it done :)

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

sorry forgot to put time of the day too

WIP: MCDST
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I book mine when I'm ready to take it. I don't need artificial pressures to force myself to study (and those who do probably ought to re-evaluate their motivations for being in IT in the first place!!). Life happens; if I'm delayed, that's OK. So I study until I'm ready, and then I take it.

I schedule my exams as early or as late as possible. I'll usually hit the center on the way in to work or on the way home from work. No sense in getting to work, then going to test, then coming back in.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I book my exams a couple of weeks in advance. I wait until I'm reasonably sure I'll pass and use the two weeks to make sure I do.
    I normally aim for 11pm. I can sleep a bit longer if I need to and it still gives me time to have a leisurely breakfast, check my emails etc before heading off since I only live 20 mins walk from a test centre.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I book it the day I'm ready, usually for the closts day and earliest hour I can. For example, I booked my N+ exam yesterday, will attempt it tomorrow at 2pm (there were no morning slots available which I prefer).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. d_mcgrail

d_mcgrail Nibble Poster

Do you get a free vodka and coke with 11pm exams? :p

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Taking a xmas break
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Busted! :oops:
    I'd certainly appreciate a drink after an exam, maybe I'll suggest this to them next time I'm in.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

I prefer to do exams in the morning and then have the afternoon to reflect on them. It also means I don't get too nervous before the exam starts.

Good luck with the 70-271!!

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I tend to go for mid-late morning.

I'm not a morning person, and too early has me grumpy and groggy.
    I also suffer from exam nerves (still) and if I book it too late I find that I don't eat and by the afternoon I'm knackered.
    I can't focus on 'last minute' revision either, so the time before the exam is taken up pacing the room and gazing blindly at pages of notes. Get it over with, I say.
    Mid morning also gives you plenty of time to get to the centre without worrying about rush hour.

One positive side of the mid afternoon exam is that you can tell everyone that it's three hours, so if you finish early you can go home early...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD