exam q?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by _omni_, Aug 23, 2005.

1. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

im planning to take the 70-270 next week. ive had alot of experience with xp pro, plus ive taken classes and read the exam cram 2 book.
    what i was wondering is, does the book have alot more than you actually need to know for the exam?
    cuz its supposed to be about win xp pro, but then it talks about novell networks and stuff, is it very necessary to know all that?

and those of you who have taken the exam, did you find it harder or easier than expected, were there weird questions, is there alot of cmd line stuff?

tks

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well, I didn't do 20-270, I sat the previous 210 exam. However to address this particular issue, you will need to know about how XP fits in in a non-MS environment (yes, contrary to what Uncle Bill would have you believe, there are other systems out there). Part of being MCP/MCSA/E qualified involves knowing how MS products interacts with these other systems.

Others will most likely explain this better, but it gives you some reasons behind your question for now. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, the EC2 books typically have a lot less information than you need to pass the exam. My understanding of the 70-270 exam is that you are not just being tested on how Windows XP operates in isolation but how it operates as a node in an active directory domain. Also, you can use a Windows desktop on a Novell NetWare network so the information presented in the EC2 book is valid.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

ok thanks :beers2

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Quite correct Trip, it is a good point to make. Most people will use Windows clients on a Novell Netware network. Way back when I was living in Blighty we had about 45 Windows 98 boxes as clients to 2 Netware 3.12 servers. Then they were all on IPX/SPX and the only reason I loaded TCP/IP on the windows clients was so that they could access a Unix box as well. How things change :rolleyes:

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I did 270 a month or so ago. It's not part of my course, but a couple of guys from work were doing it and I tagged along.
    I know my way around XP, but I wouldn't consider myself in the administrator league.
    I used transcender and the study guide you can get with it. Any areas I felt I didn't really understand I looked up in the Microsoft press book. I think I did the minimum work needed to pass.

The exam was no where near as hard as I thought it would be. I don't remember there being any command line questions and there were only a couple on installation.
    I recall most of the questions being about network connectivity, little pictures of networks where someone is in office A and want to connect to a printer in office B etc. Quite a bit on file access and permissions, you know, so and so wants to read their secret files from home. And everything seemed to be about laptops, things like having multiple hardware profiles to save battery power.

I'm not really very good at remembering these things as I always seem to go into exams in a daze and come out not actually remembering anything that happened.
    My personal thoughts are that the exam was easier than the stuff I had to wade through to get there.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Never taken this exam, but have to admit it seems like a good one to get.

I believe as others have pointed out that it covers a lot of networking areas, and things that you would consider to be on the server exams and not on the desktop one. For this reason many people study for their server exam first and then do the client one.