Exam help

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Beerbaron, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I am coming to the end of my MSc computer forensics course and finding a job in that industry is near impossible atm. I have decided for the time being to go back in to support but even that's still competitive so i really need some MCPs on my cv. Prometric have an offer on exams so ideally looking to start with 4. I am not too familiar with MS exams so looking for some advice. The first 3 i believe i should start with are below but not sure of the fourth. Any help would be appreciated.

MCDST
    70-271 Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Windows XP Operating System
    70-272 Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Windows XP Operating System

70-682 Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

Thanks.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

70-680 MCTS windows 7
    70-270 install and configuring XP

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Beerbaron

Is it recommended to do them in order or does it not matter;

70-270 install and configuring XP
    70-271 Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Windows XP Operating System
    70-272 Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Windows XP Operating System

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can do them in any order you want but the MCDST 70-271 & 70-272 are entry level so these should be done first before the 70-270 in my opinion. Usually it is recommended that you should have a bit of experience for the 70-270 but I think after gaining the the MCDST you should be okay to do it.

Just to add the MCDST 70-271 & 272 are being retired March 31st so you need to pass them both before then.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Beerbaron

I have covered some of the 70-270 in an NVQ course previously. I am looking to do my first exam at the end of the week if possible as i have a fair amount of experience supporting XP. I have the text books to go through as well.

Thanks

6. Beerbaron

I passed the 70-271 today with 983 :biggrin

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Beerbaron

Thanks. I have just booked the 70-272 exam.

Which exam is easiest, 271 or 272?

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

That's a hard question to answer because it really does depend on the individual, what one person finds hard, another can breeze.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. Beerbaron

Thought I better comment on this. I think I underestimated the exam/course content some what. I initially thought maybe I could walk in and pass the exam without doing much work :oops: Experience is one thing but there are things you still learn and especially how MS want you to do things. I had read through all the course material and covered some practice exams in the end so was well prepared. I crammed a lot in, in a short period of time. I have given myself more time to revise for the 70-272 this time :)

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Eh? :blink You passed with a 983... 283 points over the pass mark. Doesn't sound like you underprepared at all... in fact, one could argue that you overprepared. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

underprepared? I must not have bothered at all then, I only got 866 :p

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  13. Beerbaron

I booked the exam before i had even looked at the test material. I had 10 days to prepare for the exam. I then studied every day up until the exam.

14. Beerbaron

I finally sat my 70-272 exam today and passed. 1000/1000, never thought i would ever get that :D