Exam costs are ridiculous!

Discussion in 'A+' started by markmand, Apr 28, 2009.

1. markmand

markmand Bit Poster

Is it just me being tight or are Comptia prices expensive? To get Network+ you need three exams and at full price through Prometric this would come to £3 shy of £400! That is if you pass first time, I have been studying for A+ to get to the Network+ and use it towards my MCSA and now I am wishing I had just stuck with Microsoft exams; at £88 they aren't as heavy on your pocket. I think Gracetech solutions vouchers may take £50 off the costings.
    I did think it would be a handy qualification but I just can't afford the exams (and risk any retakes). Back to the drawingboard I think :rolleyes: Things sure are tight at the mo'!

Apart from the obvious (knowledge) what do you gain with Comptia?

Certifications: HNC- Computing, MCAS Word , MCP 70-290
    WIP: 220-602
  2. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Three exams for the N+?
    I did the old exam, but it was still only one exam at about £150.
    http://certification.comptia.org/network/glancebox.aspx

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well the Network+ is not 3 exams, the Network+ is one exam, the A+ is 2 exams. It is recommended, but not essential, that you have the A+ before the Network+.

You could have well gone with MS exams straight out, however unlike MS & Cisco exams, Comptia exams aren't technolgy specific and they do not expire (MS are technology specific and Cisco exams are technology specific and expire).

What you gain from them, apart from knowledge is a very good foundation to build upon - you'll find the 70-291, etc exams alittle easier and Cisco exams alittle easier also.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Professional Exams are always expensive. Two friends of mine are currently doing their accountancy exams, which the company will pay the first sitting of, however if they have to retake they have to pay the £300 per exam out of their own pocket.....

You say you cant risk the retakes but if that was the case you would never sit an exam ever, just in case you might fail, you wouldn't cross the road and risk being knocked over, in fact you probably wouldnt leave the house. What I am trying to say is if you think you may fail the exam its probably a good guess that you are not ready to take that exam, go home prepare some more and then come back to it.

Comptia's big bonus is that they are vendor neutral so in theory the skills and knowledge you learn are transferable across systems, however without the relevant job experiance and without the qualification you may struggle to back that up.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

I took my Network + today and it cost me £194.35
    £169 for the exam the rest is tax, oh and it was definitely only one exam!

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You don't need to do the A+ before the Network+ so you only need to do one exam, if you so choose

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Im currently in this boat. Scared to book the bloody exam (A+) in case I fail it and loose out on £114. :rolleyes:

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  8. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm Bit Poster

Yep, definitely only one exam for the Network+ (and two for the A+ which is possibly where the three exams came from).

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA, MCDST
  9. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Also remember that CompTIA is a non-profit, vendor-neutral certification. They can't write off certification exam development as a marketing expense like Microsoft and Cisco can. CompTIA has to be able to pay for exam development and all the associated overhead with the exam price. And, also remember that Prometric and Vue also get a cut of the exam costs.

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Life isn't cheap, if you want the exams then you have to pay. THere are discount vouchers for exams granted you may only save £50 but £50 is £50 you can't grumble. The people who write the exams need paid, the exam centers need paid and people who advertise the exams need paid I could go on but I'd probably knacker the bandwidth of CFs servers :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. markmand

markmand Bit Poster

Sorry, didn't write that very well :oops:

I intended using the Network+ towards my MCSA so for that I believe you need A+ and Network / Server+. Good pointers all round though so I may rethink my position and continue.

12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

13. markmand

markmand Bit Poster

You can also use the Comptia as credit towards your MCSA. I thought it would be a useful addition to my qualifications as well

14. Ubergeek

Ubergeek Bit Poster

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSE 2K3
    WIP: VCP, MCSE 2K3 (Security)