exam 70-271 onto mcsa

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by DAVID ARROWSMITH, Feb 7, 2008.

1. DAVID ARROWSMITH

DAVID ARROWSMITH Nibble Poster

i want to get onto the mcsa track asap and already have my a plus cert which i believe is an elective towards the mcsa. is there any point then in taking the 70-272 exam after the 70-271 ?

Certifications: a plus
    WIP: exam 70-620 windows vista
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Yes there is. You can add MCDST to your A+, and MCP certs. You can also show that you can support XP and apps.

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes, you will have to do the 70-272 to complete the MCDST, the 70-271 alone is not an elective - either is the A+ alone. The combination is the MCDST (70-271 & 70-272) or the Comptia route (A+ & Network)

See here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Even if you didn't need the 272 as an elective doing it is well worth it just to get the MCDST. Two certifications ... MCP / MCDST

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. DAVID ARROWSMITH

DAVID ARROWSMITH Nibble Poster

thanks for the info but i thought if i gained the a plus this would count as one elective and then i could go for 3 exams on the mcsa track to get the full four to qualify for the mcsa.

Certifications: a plus
    WIP: exam 70-620 windows vista
  6. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

You need the A+ & network +, to count as an elective on the MCSA.

If you have done 70-271 though, then it will definitely help in passing the 272.

I studied hard and passed the 271. I then found I needed very little study additional to this to pass the 272. I would recommend doing some practice 272 tests just to see how far off the mark you are at the moment. With some revision and a trusty microsoft second shot offer it would be more than worth your while to complete the full MCDST!!

PS I have just started studying the 70-270 (client exam for MCSA). The network + concepts & having passed the MCDST has made it a lot easier.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Just to add some explanation: The MCSA track needs 4 exams: 1 client exam, two core exams and one elective.
    For this elective you have a choice of several options:
    Exchange is one,
    SQL is one,
    A+ and Network+ is one (you need them both)
    MCDST is one (so the combination of 271 and 272)
    MCSE on NT 4 is one (You already did the elective there).

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP